Adding a 3rd hdd

smifffy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Until i can afford a larger new hdd i wish to add a 3rd to my pc. It is running windows 7 ultimate 64bit.
I am using old parts including ribbons from an old pc. The pc to upgrade has a SATA hd as original and the 2nd drive is ide and jumpers set as slave. All works and boots fine from SATA hdd each time.
But when adding the 3rd hdd the system reports bootmngmnt error and in bios it states 1 of the ide hdd is master. Each time i change the boot disk to the SATA hdd in bios it just reverts back each time the pc is turned off.
The ATA ribbon connecting my 2nd hdd had a 2nd connector and so i used that. I also set the jumper to slave. But the cable has the connectors listed as master and slave so will it over ride the jumper settings ? Is that my problem and i need a 2nd ATA cable ? Or is it the jumper settings ?

Any help is appreciated.

mshadley

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

There are two methods of assigning Master and Slave status to your IDE drives. The jumper settings can manually assign each drive. However if you happen to set both as Master or both as slave you are going to have problems. I believe the easiest way is to set the drives to cable select (CS) and the drive connected to the 'Master' (usually the end connection) will be Master and the middle the Slave. Once set, you should be able to go into Bios and reaffirm the SATA drive is designated as the boot drive.

l

smifffy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Thank you very much. I felt it had to be an issue with the jumpers and or IDE ribbon.
I shall switch the jumpers over as your suggestion and hopefully report back tomorrow with the problem solved.

smifffy.

smifffy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Set both jumpers to CS but then BIOS only detected 1 of the drives plus the SATA drive. Also even after selecting the SATA as master i had issues in that windows kept hanging and would not start fully.
So switched both drives back to slave and selected SATA as master then all booted up fine and both IDE drives recognised again.

Any ideas ?