Discussion: I want to built a home theatre/gaming pc

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I am putting some money aside to build a decent pc for the living room. I'm asking anyone with experience doing this to please give me some advice and ideas.

I want to use it to play movies etc obviously, but I also want to game on it, on the tv. It will be 1080p resolution.

I was going to get a PS4 when they come out, but i thought a "htgamingpc" would be better, because, well, because PC's are just better. What I want to ask, how much should I be budgeting, bear in mind it will be some time before I have enough, I don't want to cut corners, but the price must be reasonable. I know it will be more than a PS4 but that's cool.

I want to have a decent gaming experience, I want something that will be able to max out most games, even the next gen games. I would basically be using as a console.

It must be small and pretty quiet, I like the bitfenix prodigy cases, I'd like something like that, or similar.

Besides an Xbox control for most games, (well actually only about 30% of the games I have could be played with a controller) what would be the best way to operate it? Wireless mouse &keyboard? It's not the most comfortable way to play from the couch? Could there be a gap in the market here for an innovative way to control your pc from the couch? I think so....

A blueray player would be good too, as I don't have a dedicated one.

Do you think it's worth making such a beast? Or stick with PS4?

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I'm in Aus, budget is negligible... Lets say $700-$800 As a base. Like I said I'm saving for it, and want to have a good idea in my mind how I'm going to do it, if I need a bit more $$ it's cool I can save a little longer. I would like to keep it under $1000 though. But I don't want to skimp on much, I want to do it properly. (Within budget of course)

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Oh, and I won't be overclocking at all! I just read my post and it may seem a bit ambiguous with regards to my budget: I don't have a definite figure in mind but money is an object, so max $1000 if it is worth the extra expense, but ideally somewhere in the $700-$800 rang.

Something like this then

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($195.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: GeIL EVO CORSA Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($55.00 @ Scorptec)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Orange) Mini ITX Tower Case ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $808.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-19 23:57 EST+1100)

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Finneous I think you nailed it! However My wife would do a front flip if I put a bright orange case next to the tv though haha! I'd take the black one! I have been reliably informed (thanks bigTroll) that that case is not neither small, nor quiet... It would need to blend in on the tv cabinet...

With regard to the controlling of it though? Any thought ideas??

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
It is ridiculously priced, right? I mean we have a free trade agreement with china, and USA! But that is an argument for another day... I'm liking that case though....

Lol obviously feel free to change the case. The Fractal isn't small either, though.