Windows XP Won't activate after repair.

My grandpa brought me his windows xp machine last night saying he did a repair cause his machine wouldnt boot - but now wont activate or bypass the activation screen.

So this is whats happening. It WILL boot into WIN XP normally - It brings up a screen that says you need to activate windows xp I can click yes or no. clicking yes puts it in an endless load where it only displays desktop bg and will never do anything ( left it for 1 hour - was hoping the service that was hanging would restart or just close )
Clicking no will log out and bring back the screen lol.... (this is super sad really - Microsoft you suck )

I have also tried booting safe mode (it freezes on "\Windows\system32\drivers\fltsrv.sys")

even the mode with removed domain controllers it will not load.

I am stuck now - I know if I can get into safemode it will work.

Is the file "\Windows\system32\drivers\fltsrv.sys" curropt - but even if it was it should be fixed by the repair which said it completed and it did replace some files so.

Can anyone help? I have no clue what to do - without reinstalling windows - but I dont want to do that as he needs his files to be backed up.

UNLESS I can just install another copy of XP onto the same HDD and boot into that?!? Any help would be appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows activate repair
  1. You can partition the drive with Gparted. Then put all of the important files on that partition. Then simply reinstall windows on the other partition.
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Windows XP