Can't get onboard sound working

Mippo

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I recently built my first computer from scratch, but for the life of me I can't get the onboard sound to work. My specs are as follows:

P8Z77-V Deluxe
HAF X
I7 3770k
Windows 8 64 bit

I have a HD monitor and when I plug it in, I get sound to work from the monitor but if I plug in my older monitor that uses a DVI connection, I can't get any sound. I recently reinstalled the latest drivers and everything. The weird part is the sound appears to be working. All of the devices show up, and are working properly. If I go into the Realtek Display manager when I play a sound you can see the volume moving up and down on the bar as if its playing the sound, but no sound is coming out.

I only plugged in the HD Audio sound on the motherboard, and left the AC97 unplugged. I don't know what else to do. Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere, or is it possible I received a defective board? It's a brand new motherboard (the whole computer is brand new). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I believe you'll need to use a DVI-D adapter to transfer the audio using th DVI cable. Otherwise, you'll have to go about it the old-fashioned way by using the green jack audio cable. The reason why your HD monitor emits audio is because the sound is being transfered via the HDMI cable.