Wasn't AMD's new APU's "Richland" suppose to launch today?

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
It's march 19th isn't the new APU Richland suppose to hit shelves today or was that a joke, I had thought AMD announced it, every website said March 19? Can someone please inform me on this and what is going one?

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I was looking into a desktop one, but you are saying they won't be here till the summer, well that's stupid cause Kaveri will be around the corner then.

Why are you considering AMD's APU for a gaming rig?

You are better off getting an AMD FX-6300 which is relatively inexpensive and powerful. Sure it does not have integrated graphics, but most people who builds gaming PCs installs a graphics card anyway. The A10's Radeon HD 7660D is basically a little faster than a Radeon HD 5570.

8350rocks

Distinguished

If he's building on a budget, he can always add a Discreet GPU later, but get up and running with an APU now...

newbuildr

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Just speaking for myself, I agree with you, the AMD FX-6300 would be a great option. But for me, I'm looking at ITX form factor, and to date there are no M-ITX AM3+ motherboards, I wish there were.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

I thught i was the only one i couldnt find any other people asking this quesstion, i was really planning on march 19th, i had already bought my Mobo and all, the last part is the APU. March 19th comes and is gone now, im stucking wth a bunch of computer parts laying around, so im looking into a A10, being that people now claim June and i have parts and im ready, so i cant wait that long

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

EXACTLY, This is a tight budget upgrade coming from a core 2 duo, i plan to get a Discreet Card later to run dual graphics or just get a better card all together. I am only using the Integrated GPU to get the computer up and running and play games on low to medium, then save money to get a card maybe this summer.

Ok help me out though, should i get the A10 and get a better card later, or should i get a A8 and wait till christmas and get Kaveri?

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Is it really only that good? Btw this is a budget build i wanted to get Fx but i wouldnt have enough money to get a discreet card.

newbuildr

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
If you've already got the parts, and an FM2 motherboard, I'd say give it a week to see if these Richland chips show up, if not then go for an A10.

As far as performance, I personally think the A10 APU is plenty capable for my needs. Sure, if you want 1080p High Res graphics at 60fps no drops, it's not going to satisfy, but general gaming I think it will be fine. You'll always have the option to crossfire or get a better GPU if it doesn't meet expectations.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
That's what me and my friend were just talking about, how we thought that the A10 is just find for gaming and when the GPU part needs a upgrade get a 6670 and run crossfire or just buy a separate card, ir even OC since i got a water cooler but the CPU part is really good by its self, so yea ill wait a week and see if Richland shows up or if the A10 has any sales.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Up to you really...the A10 buys you more time, the A8 will work...either one will do most any game at low/med settings, even graphically intensive ones. What games are you playing? Maybe that will be the deciding factor...if you're playing some graphic intensive games, then you might want the A10 now...also, the FM2 socket is not changing in the near future, so you could upgrade your APU next year, and the A10 will be plenty until then, especially if you pick up a graphics card this summer.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you everyone for your input I have decided, but I like your answer. I do play games like BF3, Far cry 3 and some COD's, so yes the A10 will buy me more time like you said and I like that, again like you said FM2 is suppose to be around for awhile so I have plenty of upgrade room in the future, and again you are right I could just get a separate GPU this summer and play games like that or run it crossfire.

So yeah I will go with the A10 and if anytime I find it needs a boost in Graphics I will OC it or just buy a new card till I think I need a upgrade.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
This is off topic and I probably need to start a new thread but what kind of Thermal paste do u suggest, I was looking into artic silver Mx-4

Click following link for benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6332/amd-trinity-a10-5800k-a8-5600k-review-part-1/2