Reply box height less than 3cm

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Is it me or does anyone else have a problem with the size of the reply box. This edit box is terrific (the one I'm typing in now for this Question), it's like 8cm in height but the Quick Reply box (for Questions in the forum) is only about 2.5cm in height, hard to check for spelling errors, have to constantly do a quick edit.

randomizer

Champion
If you have a CSS3-compatible browser (I really hope you do) then you'll see a handle in the bottom right of the textbox which you can click and drag to resize it in both dimensions. For the full edit and new thread forms this is replaced by a handle in the centre of the bottom side for vertical resizing only.

I do think that both the quick and full reply forms should have bigger textareas though. If you add a quote or two then you've more than filled it already.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Nope, no CSS3 support. I'm using my preferred browser, Internet Explorer 8 :) x32

Some other Pc forums have an option to use smlieys and various font colours but there is no option button to open that textarea with the extras, I can't remember all the smiley hierglyphics :)m :} :]

I'll make do with what I got, I could open a notepad page and use that if I really need more space then copy and post my reply but sometimes that causes a bit of a load into the textarea so I prefer to just type in at the time of "writing".

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
If (and when) I upgrade, it will be to Firefox, I have had good (great) performance from them (with Vista OS). My Win 7 x32and my Win 7 x64 Pc's are in storage, I had a problems with both using IE9 so I'm using my Vista x32 PC for internet (IE8) until I can back to working on those better PC's. Also had lots of problems with cpu heat, need more cooling options when I can afford it.

With IE 8, there are no handles for the textarea.
There is no Full Reply textarea option (button).

Also, there are really a lot of people still using IE8 and even earlier versions, as well as XP or Vista. Not a lot of middle to low income people can afford a mid to high end rig with a later version OS or mid to high end hardware.

[rant]
Almost a decade ago, I was a "top" contributor in an Excel frum, I had a website with my Excel VBA Utilities and had hard-coded the html code myself. An MVP from the Excel site was using Opera as his browser and couldn't access the javascript features I had added to the site. I got a real blasting in the Excel forum for it which he should not have done in public, I even went to lawyer to see if I could sue for slander!! They said they would send a letter of intent if a public apology was not forthcoming but it would have cost me $100 for them to send the email (with their offical lettterhead) so I calmed down and just emailed the MVP about his indiscretion.

What I did, though, was add a script testing code to test whether IE was their browser and if not, a message box would appear stating that certain features would not be avaialbe if their browser was not IE (this was back in 2002) and also added text to the site just in case they had javascript disabled, as was often the case back in those days.

Anyhow, I can still access this site so all is good for now.

side note - when I was using my Windows 7 x32 with IE8, Yahoo informed everybody that the inbox email are would be upgraded to HTML 5 (to enable Facebook and Twitter plugins) so everybody had to upgrade their browser to IE9 or other browser to support HTML. Well, we all did that then the IE9 problems avalanched for everybody because web pages were still only html 4.

The point I'm trying to make now is that I am using IE8 and I somehow have full features in my Yahoo inbox email area that were not supposed to be available with versions earlier than IE9 as was stated back about 3 years ago.
[/rant]
:smileyface: :)

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Thanks for the feedback TenPC. Also worth noting that a lot of the times, browser upgrades use even less in the way of system resources than their precursors - so upgrading might actually reduce the footprint at the same time it increases your browsing compatibility.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Thanks for all the replies, I'll continue with IE 8 until I move into new premises with more space for my other PC's that have later version browsers, I don't prticularly want to upgrade this browser on this PC as it suits the OS (Vista x32).

Hi Joe :)

The "handle" to stretch the box is only useful if you know its there... I didnt until you mentioned it as in FF 19.2 it is ONLY 7 little dots which are almost invisible.....

If that is the same in all browsers , most users wont see or notice it...

And this reply box is DEFINITELY too small anyway, and for a decent length reply, you CANNOT reread your answer before clicking ANSWER....

This answer post is a perfect example.....i can now NOT see the first five lines of it....

The box size REALLY needs increasing to around double what it is now, as a suggestion... or putting on a list of future adjustments to the Forum...

All the best Brett :)

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
There are no dots with IE8.
edit - Hey, I get a really big edit box when I clikck the Full Edit icon and options for smileys,fonts colours and et al (everything else)!!

So, with IE8, I'll have to post an almost blank reply then use the full edit option if I want to use smileys etc
:bounce:

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
colour

No dots but the Full edit pencil thingy, (I never even knew what that was for until now when I moused over it) is quite good, just have to remember if I use colour to highlight the text first.

randomizer

Champion
The resize handle for quick edit is a CSS3 feature. IE8 is support for CSS3 is essentially non-existent. It should be visible in IE9 or 10 though. The resize handle for the full edit should be usable in all browsers because it is implemented in JavaScript instead.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I figured out the Update This ", it uses Quote marks for the posted text whereas an edit just allows add on text without previous text in quote marks.

Also, @randomizer, I got the Full Edit reply working so the Full Reply option is not a necessity, only problem is that I would have to submit then select Full edit to use the extra features.

Hi :)

Can you define RESIZE HANDLE for me ?

What do you actually SEE ? And WHERE ?

In FF 19.02 i see 7 dots in total...4 dots top line with 3 dots below it, in centre bottom of reply window...the dots are VERY feint... precisely the same in Full Edit window...

All the best Brett :)

randomizer

Champion
Yes, that is the resize handle. It only allows vertical resizing though. I originally missed it as well and was bummed that they had disabled the CSS3 resizing that comes for free with textareas for no apparent reason (I still don't see any reason mind you).