Backup hard drive recommendation

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I'm looking to add a backup hard drive for my newish Windows 7 system. I want at least 1 TB and it will be used only for backups and storage in a Rosewill RX-358 V2 (power saving patch applied) external enclosure. This enclosure connects via eSata and is Sata 3 (6.0Gb/s) capable.

I've found a drive that I think will serve my purposes well and would like any opinions or suggestions about this drive:
Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EZRX 1.50 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
This drive is on sale and I can pick it up for $70 (w/free shipping).

TIA for responses

Edit: Although the hard drive listed above is a Sata III (6.0Gb/s) drive the enclosure interface is only Sata I/II. The eSata input on my motherboard is connected to a Sata III header. Don't think this will really have much effect on my decision.

Edit: I've purchased the WD Green HDD. Trying to change it from a discussion to a question so that I can mark it as Solved.

I've always been very satisfied with WD drives, much less so with Seagate or Maxtor branded ones, so I fully agree with your choice.

Don't be concerned about SATA II performance compared to SATA III where a hard drive is concerned. SATA III transfer speeds are only theoretical with hard drives and are only truly achievable with SSDs since they have no moving parts.

AutomaticCoding

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I completely concur, Western Digital is my go-to company, only one of their drives have ever failed on me and it was at the exact same time (Within ~ 10 minutes of each other) as a Seagate drive also died, so, it was probably some dodgy wiring. I've had multiple other disks fail on me, including (But not limited to) Samsung, Seagate, Maxtor and (I believe, memory isn't great) Toshiba.

With the second part of your post, that's true up to a point, yes. I'd also like to add onto this users post that you probably do want to get a green drive to save a bit of power if you're not going to be constantly using it. If anything, set the spindown on the green drive to ~ 30 minutes if you're only going to be backing up once a day or something and you're sure you're not going to need it more than once a day.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Thanks to all who responded. I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on ordering the WD Green 1.5TB HDD. For $70 (inc shipping) I think it will work fine for my purposes and that seems like a very good price. Agree with having better luck with WD than any other HD vendor. Still remember some nightmares with Maxtor IDE drives.:(

I could use it in Sata III mode by installing it inside my case and using an available Sata III header. That would require me to install the hard drive cage (which I am not using right now). My SSD is on the bottom of the case and I installed the WD Caviar Black 500 GB in a 5.25" bay. Keeps things pretty clean in my Silverstone TJ08B-E case. I will try it in the external enclosure for now.