still ink left in "empty cartridges"

bluemmonjack

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
i have an epson sx445w printer.i use asda refills with no problem except when they need replacing there is loads of ink left swilling about in them if you shake them

Probably because the printer's built-in electronic chip in the printhead is unable to read the chip on the cartridge properly as it's not an Epson cartridge. You may as well buy genuine Epson cartridges in that case, rather than throw ink away in cheap cartridges - that's false economy since you aren't saving any money in the long run.

lightlygo

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

I have the same problem as bluemmonjack and I always use genuine Epson cartridges. So much for false economy. It happens when I don't use the color printing function frequently enough. I go through bursts of 3 months of printing a lot of color and then roughly 3 months when all I need is b&w. I find this incredibly frustrating, not to mention expensive, to replace half-full cartridges!

I don't buy Epson printers anymore, they are probably the worst performers for ink usage & wastage. I now use a Canon printer (had it four years) and it never gives me any trouble.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I love my Epson's. Since they don't have cheap disposable printheads attached to the ink carts like most printers they will give you superior print quality.

However their is a downside to a permanent printhead that doesn't get thrown in the trash with the ink carts but, quality of the print isn't one of them.

This downside is printhead clogs which needs to be addressed with more frequent running of the costly (in terms of ink usage) head cleaning utility under Epson's software maintenance tab.

This can easily be addressed with aftermarket ink. I use and multiple Epson inkjet printers (and have for years) and Compatible / Remanufactured / Aftermarket ink is the only way to go!

I buy my ink cartridges here: http://www.imarketcity.com/coinca.html for less than 25% of what Epson charges.

And I bought this continuous ink supply system from inkxpro for my Epson R280 that eats it's small ink cartridges way to fast, here: http://www.inkxpro.com/Continuous-Ink-System-Epson-R260...
This CISS is more expensive than most on eBay ($59.95) but, inkxpro uses high quality inks in there continuous ink supply systems and they are good people to deal with.

Epson loves to scare people into thinking that aftermarket ink will destroy your printer but that's only true if you buy crappy ink. There are many manufacturers of quality inks for Epson printers some are even better than Epson's own inks.

My cost and quality are far better using a Epson with good aftermarket ink than a cannon with cheap disposable ink heads attached to their OEM ink carts. :kaola:

Idonno said: "My cost and quality are far better using a Epson with good aftermarket ink than a cannon with cheap disposable ink heads attached to their OEM ink carts"

Well I've used genuine Epson ink & Epson Photo Paper on an Epson printer, and genuine Canon ink & Canon photo paper on a Canon printer (my current printer), and I can tell you the quality of the Canon output beats Epson without any doubt.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Well your certainly entitled to your opinion but, the majority opinion among professional photographers sides with Epson because,
It's hard to make extremely high quality prints when you use cheap disposable print heads that get tossed out every time you change ink.

In all fairness cheap disposable print heads also makes a printer generally less prone to clogs except for when you are using a continuous ink supply systems or are refilling cartridges. In that case the opposite applies.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Not really, Epson printers use a counter to judge ink levels instead of any type of devise that actually measures the ink level, So you still get the same amount of prints out of an aftermarket cartridge that you would get out of an OEM cartridge.
Aftermarket ink cartridge manufacturers also tend to brag about the fact that they have more ink in their cartridges, however with an Epson printer this will do you no good since when the counter reaches its limit the cartridge will be seen as empty no mater how much ink is actually left in it.

Your options are to toss it and install another aftermarket cartridge that costs a small fraction of an OEM cartridge, install a more expensive OEM cartridge that has less ink to begin with or buy a chip resetter for around $10.

Anyway you cut it you will save big by buying quality aftermarket ink supplies.:D

[faq]Aftermarket Inkjet Ink Supplies
I often see people asking about cheaper alternatives to buying OEM ink supplies and just as often they get incorrect responses, So hopefully I can clear a few thing up here. THE INKJET PRINTER MANUFACTURERS The makers of inkjet printers are... See full content[/faq]