Having connectivity issues with wireless and wired connections.

EvilPotatos

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I am an avid gamer and am experiencing weird issues with ping spikes and connectivity on a wiresless and wired connection. About 8 months ago I moved and had to change ISPs from Comcast to Century Link. The only package I was able to get is 512k down but at first I was able to play LoL, MW2, and BF3 (if the servers were close) with around a 110-130ms ping at any given time. About three months ago I lost internet service and was not able to connect to my router/modem (they're the same thing) with any of my computers, two desktops and a laptop.

After contacting Century Link they helped me get it working again, but since then on any of my computers wether it be a wired or wireless, has been having issues with being and staying connected to my router/modem. It is seldom I am able to play games or even go on webpages anymore due to rediculess ping spikes or not having internet access from a computer connected to the router. I'll have 5 bars, it'll say I have internet access, but when I try to open a web browser I'll get an error message saying "Problem loading page" or "Server not found".

Whenever I used to ping 8.8.8.8 I'd get similar to 65ms, 65ms, 66ms, 65ms, now, most of the time It'll be similar to 67ms, 143ms, 3465ms, 3015ms. Even on a wired connection, if anyting it's worse on a wired connection. Sometimes I loose all packets that I'm pinging 8.8.8.8 with. I've tried contacting Century Link about it but they refuse to help because part of the issue I'm having is with a computer that connects through a wireless adapter.

Any insight any of you might have on my situation would be greatly appreciated.
All my computers run on Windows 7 SP1.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
assuming your router will respond to ping, use one of the many lookingglass sites and ping your router ip from the internet.

This one when it works is centurylinks. Ping your ip from a location near your house. If you see issues it is clear proof it is their network,the connection to the house, or maybe your router. It eliminates everything in your house past the router. Now if its clean from a couple different sites in their network then I would have to agree you have a issue in your house.

https://kai04.centurylink.com/PtapRpts/Public/BackboneReport.aspx

EvilPotatos

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Thank you for replying so quickly. I just tried that from a few different locations, all packets came through 58-66ms in my state and around 100-150ms from a neighboring state. So, what does that mean?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
what you need to do is be sure you are not just getting lucky and the problem is hiding. If you get good ping times from the internet at the same time you are getting poor times from your house then I would be thinking the router has a issue. Maybe the standard upgrade the firmware solution but it is really tough to tell. This is common issue on wireless since interference causes it but when you have problem on wired also then it is not just interference. I am betting you have a dsl modem/router so the option of plugging directly into the modem is not available. You could I guess try putting the router into bridge mode and see if it makes a difference but I suspect you will end up buying or borrowing a router to test anyway.

EvilPotatos

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Thank you for responding, I apologize for the late response, I've been quite busy and had forgotten about this. I'll try this soon, also, I was thinking about trying to get a new modem from Century Link but I wasn't sure if it'd help what-so-ever. Oh, and yes, it is a DSL modem. I really appreciate you helping me with this.