Problem after installing new hardware

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hello,

I recently replaced my broken MCP61 motherboard that came with my HP PC with an MSI 970A G46, and replaced my Phenom II with an FX-6300. The first time I started the PC, I went into the bios and realised the latest available version was already pre-installed, so I went to boot in. However, windows 7 then comes up with an error message about the new hardware so I do the automatic repair it suggests I do. Try and boot in, same thing happens. HP advisor then pops up, and suggests a complete factory image system restore. I do that, as there isn't much on my HDD, and it reinstalls.

Then, I get to the screen where it says "Setup is preparing your computer for first use". After about 5 mins on this screen, it comes up saying something about a hardware issue, code purple. This disappears, and 25 minutes later its still telling me that my PC is being prepared for first use.

Do I need a new copy of windows, or is this fixable without paying my mate (Microsoft research) £25 for a new copy of windows 7/8?

Please Help!

U will need to reinstall windows completely. the install you are using is setup to run with the old hp motherboard, a cpu change wouldnt rlly change anything in windows but the old install is setup for a different board. So with new motherboards, you will need to reinstall windows to the hard drive. If u can get a program thats free that will find ur product key on the installed windows and write it down and reuse it which is not likely as it seems u cant load into windows. If its an HP there should be the code on the hp case. If u can get it, all you need is an install disc

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Thanks for the heads up, I should probably get a new copy of windows, might as well for £25. Can I wipe the HDD in the bios? Thanks.

when u boot to reinstall windows hit custom and theres an option to format then, or use a diff pc if u can

or u can get a program like a hirens boot cd that will boot and will format hard drives, will either need another pc to make the cd for it or some how get one lol or wait