What on earth happened to my Steam??? PLEASE HELP!

newpcbuilder

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
I NEED HELP. I clicked on my desktop shortcut for steam, but it came up with something saying "This item 'Steam.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?" (Months ago I moved my steam files to my 2nd larger hard drive.) I went to my steam folder and dragged Steam onto the desktop so I could create a new shortcut. Everything seemed normal, but shortly after, steam had a download bar for an update come up. I noticed many new items on my desktop while this was happening. When I saw so many new icons appearing I remember pressing cancel partway through. When I tried signing into steam it said that I was signing in from a different computer so I had to confirm it though my steam email. When I was signed in I saw that all my games have an install button instead of play. I just want to resolve these issues. I want to sign into steam and play my games without having to re-install everything. I have no idea if all the new desktop icons and their content is duplicates or unnecessary information that can be deleted or if that would mess up something important. This is very concerning to me because I dont know how to resolve this. (Another less important issue: my old steam shortcut, my tf2 shortcut and saints row the third shorcut lost their desktop icon pictures, how do i restore the pictures) Here is a screenshot of my desktop, everything after counter strike is new files that suddenly appeared and the lone steam icon is the steam.exe I dragged onto my desktop, it was originally in the empty space on the second to last column.
P.S. I am worried about multiple gigabytes of duplicate files taking up space, losing my files, and losing my account information such as my achievements, play time, and items i have in TF2.
Please help ASAP I want to play my games and everything to go back to normal but I'm afraid of creating more problems

I also sent this exact text as a steam support ticket roughly 18 hours ago without any current response
P.S. how do i add an attachment to a forum post? I want to put up the screenshot I took so you can get a better idea of how it looks like

newpcbuilder

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

That is the link I followed when I originally moved my steam folder from my SSD to HDD