Can't Install Programs From HDD to SDD

adrenalytic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hi,

I have recently upgraded to a Samsung 840 256GB SSD and installed Windows 7. I am using a western digital 750GB as my storage drive. I have configured the SSD to save temporary files such as browsing data and downloads to the WD (in order to keep writes to a minimum on the SSD.

My problem is that when I launch an application from the HDD to install it, I get error messages such as "Set up was unable to create the directory "C:/<path>" Error 5 Access Denied" and I have also seen "Error Opening file for writing".

My guess is that there is some sort of permissions issue going on because programs will install fine if I move launchers to the SSD. So something is preventing my HDD from having write access to the SSD and I am at a loss for how to correct this.

I have checked permissions in the security tabs for both drives and everything looks OK from what I can tell. I am an set up as an administrator and I have tried running programs as an administrator. Please help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

adrenalytic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

This is a link to a support page for an Asus Notebook and how to perform a system recovery. Did you even read my post? o_O

Now I've read your post. Not sure about the issue also, but it might be related to
"I have configured the SSD to save temporary files such as browsing data and downloads to the WD"
How have you done it?

adrenalytic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

Most of the switching was done through Chrome settings but for documents and other Library items, I just right click > properties > and changed the locations to the HDD.

A new piece of info: I moved one of the files I was trying to install to yet ANOTHER drive (an external) and I was able to install it successfully from there to my SDD. So there is something going on with the internal HDD I suspect.

adrenalytic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

Most of the switching was done through Chrome settings but for documents and other Library items, I just right click > properties > and changed the locations to the HDD.

A new piece of info: I moved one of the files I was trying to install to yet ANOTHER drive (an external) and I was able to install it successfully from there to my SDD. So there is something going on with the internal HDD I suspect.

adrenalytic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

Hmm, I haven't tried as there is data on there. I suppose I could move it to the external drive and give it a shot. How will formatting it help with the issue?

adrenalytic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

That's an interesting thought. The old windows is not "available" on the old drive but that's only because I used a program to clear it and not the actual built in windows format option. I will give it a shot and report back. Should I redirect my download folders back to C: or my external temporarily while the format runs? I'm just wondering if it would mess anything up since windows won't know where to save temp files while the target drive is formatting.

adrenalytic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

Ok thanks. I have to step out in a little bit and I don't think the format will be complete before then (it's a 750GB HDD) but I will get things rolling and report back later tonight. Thanks again for your help.