Need help deciding on deciding which external hard drive for storage space.

honeyinsfl

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
With the help of this website I was able to chose the best laptop for my needs. I opted for the HP dv6t-Quad, i7, 8 GB, I upgraded to the better screen per your suggestions; beautiful by the way, and got the Hybrid 7200 rpms, since the other hard drive only came in 5400. Unfortunately, I had issues with computer crashing on the first update, overheating, a slow responsive mouse (or the thingamagic in the middle....LOL), and a letter on the keyboard that keeps popping up, so I am returning this computer and HP is giving me a new one and will throw an SSD 160 GB for $80.00 more as they are out of the hybrid 7200; which is a bargain since they charge $260 for it.
Now I need your help in chosing the best external hard drive for storage capacity. You can tell I am new to this customization, but I had not choice since I wanted to stick with Windows 7 and HP had them available.
I appreciate your input and suggestions.

honeyinsfl

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Thank you Redheat for your links. Do you have any opinions on the ones that HP sells? They have a 2TB for $135, I am sure I can get a coupon of some sort to bring the price down. I just want to make the right choice. I was not contemplating making this purchase, but with the SSD being only 160GB, I know I must.

popatim

Titan
The 160GB SSD is $80 more than the $260 Hybrid drive? Thats $340 for a 160gb ssd... thats insane.

IMO - Get the smallest cheapest normal HDD they have and upgrade it to a much larger SSD yourself.

or

Get a normal HDD in the size you need. Externals are for backups.

honeyinsfl

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I am sorry, I think I was not clear ---- The cost to upgrade to the 160GB SSD is $260.00, but upon calling HP to return the laptop that I got with the Hybrid Hard Drive, they offered me a new one with the SSD upgrade and only charging me $80 and not $260, since an exact replacement is not possible as they no longer have the Hybrid 7200 rpm in the model that I got. I only paid if I remember correctly, $50 to upgrade to the Hybrid Hard Drive when I originally purchased the laptop, again I only did so because that was the only hard drive that came with 7200 rmp, and I could not afford to pay $260 more for the SSD. So I think what they are offering me now is a good deal, according to what I have read about the SSDs being better. I will still have 21 days to try the laptop if I do not like it, I can send it back.
I am not sure if your comment was meant to say that I am getting a good deal or not? LOL... I can only hope that I am.

Thank you for your reply. As for the external drive, it is a matter of getting something not so big and convenient to store my music, photos and documents, and getting something good and affordable so I can stretch my dollar.