encryption issues, need to bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
this is the issue: business computer that is very old and failing. the client has used this computer for personal and other businesses document storage. the computer uses credent encryption on certian file types (excell, pdf, avi, to name a few). i need to copy all of the PDF's and excel documents off this XP machine and onto another and retain the ability to open these files. i have tried changing file extensions, copying onto a fat 32 drive, sector copying the files. the company who the laptop was purchased through will not provide the means to access the encryption settings to turn off the encryption.

what are my options?

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
and this is why i hate encryption... there has got to be a way around this, i can access the files just fine on the computer that has the encryption keys. is there a program that can bit copy files to a new location? i could always recreate the files manually from one comp to another but god i dont want to do that... there has got to be a way to do this easily. i have maybe 300 excel files and 1,000 pdf's to make functional on another computer.

....there has got to be a way around this....
If there were it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of encryption, which is to protect data from unauthorized access. No way around it, the three options already outlined, plus the option of manually recreating the files on an unencrypted system, are all there are.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
the system does not encrypt .docx, .img, or .exe. perhaps i could open a pdf in word and save its output. move that document to another machine and change it back to .pdf? i am going to check if open office is encrypted, if its not then maybe i can batch convert all the files to an open office extension and move them that way.

do we think that perhaps using a processes explorer program i could find what ever service is hooking into a program while its saving a file and block it from running, thus stopping the re-encryption processes?

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
heaven forbid someone might have a legitimate reason for bypassing security. ill hit up some forms of ill repute and see if i can dig deeper into this.

@ncc74656

Asking to bypass security measures such as encryption is not allowed on this forum as we cannot verify ownership of the device to any degree of certainty. Similarly, we also do not allow requests for bypassing Windows account logins.

As such, this thread will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.