Concerned with temperatures on my Intel processor.

Alex Ford

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hey there, this is my first post here.

I bought an Alienware PC in December 2012, and thus far it's been good.

The specs are as follows, 8GB DDR3, GTX 660 OEM 1.5GB, liquid cooled Intel i7 3820 still at the factory 3.6GHz.

After installing CPUID Hardware Monitor out of interest a few weeks ago, I've noticed that the CPU socket temperature (tmpin0 on the motherboard) often peaks at around 65 Celsius when loaded, and as high as 71 in one instance. These seem to be spikes, I've done load tests where it's generally more consistently in the mid to late 50s. The core temperatures appear to spike in the mid 50s too, peaking occasionally at 60 and otherwise running most of the time in the mid to late 40s. The idle temps for everything are normal although even then tmpin0 seems to be at 39 compared to 31 on the other motherboard censors.

A friend of mine with more experience in the hardware department has suggested that I should consider installing another fan onto the liquid cooling radiator. The setup at the moment has two main fans, one that brings air in via intakes on the front and another on the back of the cooling radiator which I presume exhausts air.

He also suggested that the stock thermal compound may not be particularly good and that I should consider buying and applying new stuff.

Anyhow, I was just hoping for some more opinions here. If anybody agrees that I should go for fans is there any suggestions as to the configuration I should go for? For example if I add a fan to the radiator is it better for them to pull air in at the back and out the front or should the new fan and the old fans continue to pull from front to back?

I'll be very grateful to hear your responses.

Alex Ford

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Surely those temperatures indicate that my cooling system isn't working particularly well? I mean another friend of mine has the 3820 overclocked to 4.4GHz and gets significantly lower temperatures whilst gaming, with a large heat sink instead of water cooling.

I'm new relatively new to system temperatures I have to say.

If you paid alienware for the liquid cooling setup, I would let them handle it. It should be under warranty. If you should start adjusting it, you may void your warranty. The other check you can make is in the motherboard bios; see how close your monitor software comes to the bios temps; you can check at idle or do a fast reboot and enter the bios while it's warmed up by pressing the "del" key. I have used coretemp with mixed results. You may also find some software from the board manufacturer that's more accurate.

Alex Ford

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for your response.

It's difficult to get a clear picture of the situation. You mentioned that Intel allow up to 72c on a newer CPU, so presumably for my machine to be peaking at 71 occasionally whilst water cooled no less is a problem? I haven't managed to speak to one person with the same opinion as the next, I'm pretty confused.

To be honest, I was hoping contacting Dell/Alienware would be a last resort. Sending the PC back would be an absolute nightmare as it ways a ton, so packaging it is a serious task after which it would have to be shipped to Lodz in Poland (I'm in Scotland). I will try and do so however.