Monitors wont come on when Video card is hooked up.

BEEFSTIX

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
So I bought an HDE 7870 put it in the proper 3.0 PCI express slot. I put in the power cables (Card had 2 6-pin inputs), one was 8pin>6+2pin with the 2pin just left out (no room) and the other 6-pin input I used an adapter that drew power from 2 molex connections off of an already present cable.

After powering it up none of the displays would come on at all, even if the displays were using inputs from the motherboard and not the card.
I then disconnected the 2 6-pin power cables from the card and powered it up again, and of course the monitors would go back to working with the video card no longer powered.

Anybody know why I can't get any video when the Video card is hooked up?
I'm using an 3570k i5 processor, AsRock Extreme4 motherboard, and 600W Modular PSU if that matters at all.

EDIT: Problem solved, see bottom.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
i would try with the os drive connected and the graphic card with the provided cable directly on the psu with the 24 and 2 pins to the motherboard and monitor on the graphic card to see if it receive signal from the system ?

BEEFSTIX

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Well neither of them work when I have the card connected.
Whether I use the card's ports, or the board's ports

samb_ch

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012

I have modified the answer.

BEEFSTIX

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
OK. So originally I couldn't get ANY monitors/ports to work when I had the Video Card installed. And in an attempt to fix this I took it out and tried installing the drivers first and then RE-installing the Video card again, and it failed since it couldn't detect the card (it was unplugged, so I could see my monitors again).

Well the problem was that instead of my BIOS being set to "INTEGRATED" graphics, it was trying to be smart and Auto-correct and set the graphics to PCI-Express for me. So here are the steps taken to alleviate this specific problem.
1. Remove power cables from Video Card so it could boot up with monitors working
2. Enter BIOS and Go to ADVANCED>NORTHBRIDGE>GRAPHICS and set as INTEGRATED
3. Save and Exit, Shut Down when finished.
4. Re-connect Video Card power cables and turn computer on
5. Insert Driver CD (Now that it's booted properly AND can detect the card, the CD will now install the proper drivers).
6. Repeat #2 but set to PCI-EXPRESS rather than INTEGRATED.

Also this might have been avoided had I just tried to Download the drivers the first time rather than using their handy-dandy Driver installation disc, though I'm not 100% sure.

samb_ch

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012

Good you fixed it! and sorry I just confuse CX600 and CX600M.