narrowed it down to 2 monitors...need help choosing

G

i am currently planning on going with this monitor, well reviewed and a decent price
ASUS VS Series VS238H-P

or i can go with this monitor for 30 bucks cheaper depending on what the asus is going for day to day
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6747532

both the same size, i'm not well versed in monitors, which one and why? cheers

edit: i should have mentioned this is primarily for gaming and some light video editing and such and of course, browsing the interwebs

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Go with ASUS, its a far more SUPERIOR brand IMO and the the ASUS monitor has gray to gray 2mms response time making it faster, its contrast ratio is also better than the gateway, 50,000,000:1>12,000,000:1

G

I didn't see the contrast ratios until after i posted this otherwise i would have probably decided on that alone lol. can you explain the "gray to gray" part? just trying to learn a little haha

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Gray to Gray response time is how fast a monitor can refresh it self. In this case it refreshes its screen every 2 mms. Therefore it is fast, if you com across any dell ultrasharps that have like 8mms and they say its built for gaming, don't get confused it is meant for gaming because it is built in ips technology which is the latest.

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
I would go for the ASUS monitor because it's a Japanese company, uses Japanese parts, which are always high quality. I have stuff made by them, and I love them.

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

lol if u see sumthing made in usa, china or even canada and there is a japanese model, everyone would dive into the japanese model