Is My Linksys WRT54GS Dead?

sparda1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Edited
Hello all. I have had my WRT54GS for several years (at least 5) and it has worked great with little to no problems.

Today while I was playing a game online, I was suddenly disconnected. I thought it was my ISP at first since power cycling did not work. I then tried connecting my PC directly to the modem and all was fine. Nothing I have tried so far has worked, so I am using an old D-Link router (non-wifi) until I get this figured out.

• The Linksys is roughly 5 years old
    It is well ventilated
    All Ethernet cables are working fine
    It is plugged into a surge protector, along with the modem and my PC speakers (which are all fine)
    Firmware is up-to-date
    There is no third-party firmware installed

So, the only thing I can think of, is that it has died for some reason. Any thoughts?
And if I do have to replace it, can anyone suggest a good wireless router around $60, or since I had a such a good run with this one, should I just buy the same one or maybe this one?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

Any help is very much appreciated,
Thanks =)

Edit: I've done some additional reading, and some people say that a lot of "dead" routers can be caused by the filter capactiors or power supply failing, could this possibly be my problem?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Sounds pretty typical of how routers fail.

I would not buy that one it is a very old model. You might as well go with 802.11n routers since they will support anything you have that is 802.11g as well as any new things you have. There are a bunch of routers in your price range. If you want dd-wrt support then the asus rt-n53 is good. This router as well as a couple others in that price range also have dual band support (which again you may want in the future).