Forced Service Pack 1 ruined everything

Krackerjax

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
So as you may all know, Windows 7 officially started to have Service Pack 1 start to automatically install on March 19. So it just hit me about an hour ago... and It screwed me good and hard. I have lost pretty much every single preference on my computer.

Browser bookmarks, teamspeak bookmarks, wallpaper, every single desktop icon that isn't a shortcut to a game. And, worst of all, every single file/folder I had on my desktop. Gone. Just gone. I was a lazy guy and my desktop was COVERED in files.

Is there any way to reset any of this? Are the desktop files stored anywhere? Is Service Pack 1 supposed to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use system restore to turn back the drive to before the update.
Turn off automatic updates, and set "let me decide" which updates to install.
Windows updates are not compatible with all systems.
That's why many people turn off the automatic updates, and decide manually which updates to install.
You can install "important updates" only.

Krackerjax

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

Well, that's the thing. It even erased all of my restore points. It says "no restore points have been created on your computer's system drive". Oh, and you are going to love this. I had it set to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them". But it installed it for me anyways. It seems like Microsoft is FORCING people to upgrade to Service Pack 1. Because in April they wont support any copies of Windows 7 that are not at least Service Pack 1.

I am quite mad about losing my preferences, but that I can live with. But I had at least 100GB of data on my desktop. It has to be somewhere on my hard drive, right?