New build problems with ram not detected

ross2323

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Hi there guys, hopefully someone can help me out with this...

I've just upgraded my pc from a core 2 quad to an i7.

The new motherboard is an Asus - P6X58D-E

As I was a little short on cash I bought 3 Corsair 2Gb sticks of ram with the intention of buying more next month when I have some more money.

So, in total I should have 6Gb of ram but only 4Gb is showing ...
I have inserted the ram into the correct slots.

I am also running windows 7 64bit so it cant be the 32bit 4GB ram limitation.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated!

ross2323

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Thanks for your response, yeah that is what I am beginning to think. I've swapped them around, pulled them out put them back in, blasted it with a can of air and so on but had no joy with that.

Yeah it was a bundle of 6GB (3 x 2GB) here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/191184-corsair-6gb-ddr3-1600mhz-xms3-memory-cmx6gx3m3a1600c9?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CPnA7Iqji7YCFcrHtAodJ1oA_A

Ill start testing them then...

ross2323

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Ok so I have now tested all 3 modules and they seem to be working fine.
I have used memtest on each one individually and returned no errors....

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Could it be the motherboard?

It is beginning to sound as though it is the motherboard itself, I was personally hoping for the easier solution. I think at this point I would at least be contacting Asus about possible RMA.
Just wondering because it may have an effect on ram operation, are you using an 8pin or 4 pin connector for your ATX12V here

ross2323

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Very good point! I had forgotten about that. As I kept my PSU from my old system and it did not have a 8 pin socket I just plugged in the 4 pin and it seems to work fine. Does that not just supply power to the CPU though, I wouldn't have thought it could affect ram operation?

I have made some further progress on the motherboard side of things:

I launched the Asus disk and clicked on "view motherboard". It shows 2gb of ram in slot 1 and the same in slot 6 but nothing in slot 3 so either that slot on the motherboard is damaged or there is another problem. I may have to try and take it back to the shop tomorrow and see if they will swap it for another one.

ross2323

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Perfect! I think you may have solved the problem, thank you :)

I will post back in a few days once this arrives and let you know if it has done the job.

ross2323

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Well, it turns out my PSU did have an 8 pin adapter, I just had to put the two 4 pin ones together. I should have realized this as this as its a pretty decent Antec one.

This has not solved the problem.

I took it back to the shop yesterday and they said I must have damaged the motherboard putting it into my case. Perhaps I did but I've read many other posts about people having the same problem with this board.

After some testing it is the center slot that does not recognize any ram. There are 6 in total so I have just put one of the modules into one of the black slots and I can use all 6gb for now but its not triple channel.

What do you think? Faulty board, damaged board or other problem?

I would suspect manufacturing fault and not a fault of yours, I've seen faulty ram banks too many times (not just on Asus boards). I will also contend here that you may recieve some satisfaction from Asus (who have also seen many faulty ram banks I'm sure) as far as replacement. The only time I know that a manufacturer will refuse RMA on a mobo is if there are obvious burn marks on the board (bent pins too on an Intel board) - that, they'll call user inflicted damage. Other than that, you should be fine to RMA