Sign in with
Your question

24'' Vs 27'' Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2013 3:47:59 AM

I cant choose between the 2!
27'' has the large size that emerges you into the game your playing but has low pixel density which can be a problem while viewing text!

What do i do? which do i choose? Can you really see the pixels in 27'' monitors? Is it noticeable or can it be ignored?

More about : monitor

March 20, 2013 3:49:21 AM

27 inch monitors in most case have resolution with high pixel density and overall are better but require a very powerful GPU.
March 20, 2013 4:01:12 AM

Cybertox said:
27 inch monitors in most case have resolution with high pixel density and overall are better but require a very powerful GPU.

im talking about the 1080p ones
Related resources
March 20, 2013 4:06:56 AM

timarp000 said:
Cybertox said:

Then its just the matter whether you want a normal sized monitor or a larger one.

March 20, 2013 6:54:54 AM

Cybertox said:
timarp000 said:
Cybertox said:

Then its just the matter whether you want a normal sized monitor or a larger one.

I want a large monitor, but i dont want to see pixels on the screen... Is text pixelated on a 27'' 1080p monitor?
a c 128 C Monitor
March 20, 2013 8:02:21 AM

With ClearType, I do not see pixels while reading text on a 1080p 27" screen. I have to put my nose into the screen to see individual pixels. I also would not go back to 24" after using a 27" screen.
March 20, 2013 8:54:55 AM

Can you get a 2560x1440p screen for a budget? $500 and lower but good quality? Maybe if upgrade to SLI, my system could handle it...
March 20, 2013 5:18:21 PM

No you won't have a problem viewing text at all. The main difference you will see is how small windows OS will look, and it starts to make a difference when your trying to use/look at multiple programs at the same time. If you have lots of windows open at one time 1920x1080 will look a little small. The higher res does give win7 a much cleaner look though. Games, movies or anything you look at in full screen will look the same though. Maybe slightly better quality with higher res but nothing really noticeable. I have uploaded two pics to demonstrate. This is my 27" 2560x1440 monitor (its really sweet, I just got it last yesterday). I took pictures of it set in both resolutions. You will notice how much smaller the desktop icons are in 2560x1440 pic. This is visible throughout most programs, internet browsers etc. Again, games and movies will look fine. Actually I don't like playing the games (fast paced fps's) in 2560x1440. It almost feels laggy but I'm not sure it is lag. The best way to describe it is like drink driving. Aiming feels a bit hit and miss at best. I am going to set it back to 1920x1080 when I play games. It feels much better.

1920x1080

2560x1440
a b C Monitor
March 20, 2013 5:33:32 PM

their are plenty of 1440p 27" monitors... the microcenter one above, on ebay either greensum or dreamseller have the catleaps or achievia, about 9 other brands out there now.... no matter what the brand, they are all A- apple cinema displays made by LG... i got my pixel perfect achievia schmian 1440 27" for $389 shipped.

and yes, comming from a 23" samsung 1080p tn based panel to this 27 "1440p ips based panel was a world of difference.

but you will need a 7950/660ti and above to run heavy hitter titles at that resolution, my msi tf3 gtx570 had issues at that resolution, especially with ultra modded skyrim.
March 20, 2013 5:43:38 PM

If its purely for gaming and you are quite competitive, I'd look at a 27" 1080p 120Hz monitor. The lag may throw you off a little with the 1440p. I read up a lot before I bought as well and I heard that 1440p would be fine for gaming (unless your hardcore pro). I'm no pro but when I played initially it was horrible. I kept thinking I would just have to get used to it but I didn't. It actually felt like I had mouse acceleration on. That's prob best way to describe it (the feeling that every time you move the mouse it never lands where you expect it to). Switching to 1080 res in graphics settings made it feel way way way better, but still not 100% perfect. Some people may disagree and I can't speak for them and their monitor, but I definitely noticed a difference. I don't think its the monitor either. Its meant to be one of the better 1440p monitors for gaming. It's an Asus PB278Q monitor. I have a gtx 580 and it handles it fairly well. None or very little anti aliasing though but you don't really need it with higher resolution. All other settings up full for CoD BO2 and fps is around 90+ avg.
March 20, 2013 6:04:39 PM

BigMack70 said:
smjpl what connection were you using? I notice no input lag at all using DisplayPort on my Auria, so control feels very good. Response times aren't great but I'm not too sensitive to that.

Anyways yeah if you're sensitive to response times or input lag, probably don't want an IPS panel for gaming.

I'm using DVI-D dual link which should be similar to display port. They're the only two the support 2560x1440 (I think). I was worried about lag initially but I took the gamble. I was very worried up until I tried it in 1080, but now I couldn't be happier with my screen. Worth every penny, and it cost a whole load of pennies. :) 

I didn't think I was too sensitive to anything but I did notice it immediately when first started playing. Now that I have it in 1080p (while playing games only) its pretty much fine though so it can't be the ips panel. Its the panel type that causes the lag and that hasn't changed. Only res has changed so its a bit weird. I was actually on my way to start a new thread to ask about this problem. I got a little sidetracked though.
a c 128 C Monitor
March 20, 2013 6:22:41 PM

I personally like high responsive monitors/systems. A lot of the reason I do, is due to simulator sickness (similar to motion sickness, which I don't actually get easily). The extra input lag, and latency caused by low FPS causes me to feel nausea when playing with a mouse. So sticking with 1080p @ 120hz, not only helps with high FPS but I get more displayed images and lower latency.

I also do not like small text. While you can increase the UI in the personalize properties, programs not designed to for high resolution screens will make reading difficult.

In terms of gaming only, which would be my focus, I'd say if you prefer extra crisp sharp textures, go 1440p, but if you prefer good animation and responsive controls, go 1080p 120hz.
!