2700k Idle Speed

X88RED

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Hello

This is probably a really obvious question, but I have a Intel 2700k CPU which is not overclocked and when it is at idle, I have noticed that the core speed and core voltage often change (seen through CPU-Z). For example the core speed will jump from 1600MHz to 3900MHz then go back down to 1600MHz. And also the core voltage will be at 1.000v then go to 1.250v. Just wanted to make sure this is normal and that there are no problems, as I don't understand why it jumps up and down.

Thanks in advance!

Redmond.

With Intel® Speedstep® you will find that your processor will drop down to 1.6GHz or 1600MHz to save power when idle. This speed is all about saving power and lowering temperatures when the processor isnt doing anything.

Now Turbo Boost on the Intel® Core™ i7-2700K will clock the speed on the processor up to 3.9GHz maximum this is based off the number of cores in use and the temperature of the processor. So if the temperatures are reasonable and you are only using 1 core you will be running at 3.9GHz, 2 cores and you will be at 3.8GHz, 3 and 3.7GHz, and finally if you are using 4 cores and you are not running hot you should still see 3.6GHz as long as the processor has something to do.

Gennaios

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
that happens to most of cpus!its about how much MHz the system needs there!on idle most intel cpus are set a limit of 1450-1600MHz so its normal!in turbo boost it may show you something like 3.7ghz when it should be 3.9ghz thats because its a program and not bios so it cannot really be so specific!

but the turbo boost is not always as the company says!its always less!