GTX 570 cooling question

ssseraph

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Greetings, all.

Though I have been what I call an "advanced user" on both the software and hardware side of computers for the better part of 5 years now, I have never once changed the cooling system on a video card. Having said that, I'm very tired of my 570 achieving temps of 75C, and would like to amend that, particularly since it's getting warm out now.

I have an EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 (linky), which is factory overclocked. I would very much like to know if anyone has put an aftermarket fan on their 570 (or similar product) and the temperature differences that were achieved.

My question is twofold:
1. I'm looking to spend less than 50USD, so what is the best product available for that price?
2. Would it be more worthwhile to take off the stock cooler, apply aftermarket thermal paste (Arctic Cooling MX-2), or to get an aftermarket cooler?

Thanks!

JonnyW

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Just to confirm what BigMack said, I own an EVGA GTX 570 SC and tend to max out at ~70 degrees. And since my ambient temps are rather cool atm I would think that 75 degrees is more than reasonable.