Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

I can afford the £93 - should I go for GTX 680 over GTX 670 for a 120hz 3D setup?

Tags:
  • Gtx
  • Monitors
  • 3D
  • Graphics
Last response: in Displays
March 20, 2013 6:44:47 AM

Recently I asked about an upgrade I was doing monitor and GPU wise for a new 3D single 120hz monitor setup I was doing.

I got some good answers and put in an order for the BENQ T2420TX 24 Inch and a GTX 670 MSI Power Edition.

The monitor is 3 inches less than my current 60hz one, but I sit very close to my desk anyway so 27 seems redundant plus the cost of getting 120hz 27inch monitors was extreme.

However some new considerations have come into play.

A friend of mine says that Nvidia are due to refresh their cards in the next couple of weeks. Is this true and what does it mean? Cost reductions? New cards?

My friend wasn't convinced that I'd exceed 60FPS on 2D games as I play things like BF3, Planetside 2 and Tomb Raider and obviously we'll get more modern games coming out this year.

As such I looked back at the GTX 680's. This one at my store caught my eye before
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiagef...

The GTX 680 OC by ASUS - I use an ASUS motherboard and I've never had any reliability problems with them. It looks like a very nice poweful card, but is £93 more than the GTX 670 Power Edition MSI I ordered.

Saying that, looking at other options, I can for slightly less money get ones by Gigabyte and ZOTAC (never heard of the latter) that have higher clock speeds - perhaps I should go for one of those instead? I've heard bad things about EVGA cards and I don't fancy my luck with "supercharged" models

I have until Friday to change my mind though as I haven't "paid" for the card yet. I can afford the £93 extra so I'm tempted to go for the best I possibly can GPU wise.

What do you think? As I can afford the additional £93, should I just bite the bullet and go for the ASUS card (or similar) rather than the MSI 670 one to maximise my potential?

More about : afford gtx 680 gtx 670 120hz setup

March 20, 2013 7:08:06 AM

I must admit, that was a "backup" plan in case I didn't get the desired results from the OC 670 that I wanted. Never done a SLI or Xfire setup before, in the past it was always unreliable but I'm not opposed to the idea especially when the benefits in % increase are quite impressive. I've got a decent Thermaltake Chaser case with good ventilation (the one with the feet as well) and an 850PW supply so it's not like I couldn't handle the extra load.
Related resources
a c 188 C Monitor
March 20, 2013 7:23:26 AM

I agree with BigMack70
March 20, 2013 7:32:45 AM

Does seem the way doesn't it? Reading up on the current reliability of SLI setups. Must admit, with one or two small tax jobs this month I could easily afford a second MSI PE 670. - I take it you should ideally get the exact same card again if you're going to SLI them?
a c 188 C Monitor
March 20, 2013 7:38:03 AM

Luke Hector said:
Does seem the way doesn't it? Reading up on the current reliability of SLI setups. Must admit, with one or two small tax jobs this month I could easily afford a second MSI PE 670. - I take it you should ideally get the exact same card again if you're going to SLI them?

You don't have to, but it is advisable.