Power Supply Unit Trouble: Have I overloaded?

Omabytes

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
So, last night my graphics card finally arrived, a Powercolor Radeon HD6950 2GB.

Excited to finally be able to play the new Tomb Raider game, I booted up, loaded the game and off I went.

I've been using a corsair GS700W power supply for 5 months now with no problems. 10mins into playing the new game, I hear a pop, the power trips in the house and I catch a faint whiff of burned plastic for a second or two.
After some testing I determined that it is the PSU that has gone. Other components look ok but have yet to try them out with another PSU.

I thought a 700W PSU should have been plenty able to cope with this. Do I really need to up my PSU size to cope with my setup? If so what to?

You will need to list your build specs to know if 700W is enough to power it. I would believe so (unless that was your second 6950) but unfortunately you'll need to RMA the PSU and wait for the replacement at this point.

Omabytes

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G MicroATX Motherboard
AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 Socket AM3+ 6 Core Processor
Powercolor Radeon HD6950 2GB
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
(until recently) Corsair GS700W PSU

Yeh they're giving me a replacement on it, but evidently if it's not enough I don't want to go shoving the same one in again. However yes that is my only graphics card.

Hi - as C12 said - 700w(even 500w has headroom) is way more than
sufficient for a sys with one hd6950, looks like you got a bad psu,
happens from time to time even with quality brands such as Corsair.