Sign in with
Your question

Replaced CPU cooler without using new thermal paste, should I have done?

Last response: in Systems
March 20, 2013 7:30:43 AM

Hello,

Built the following last week:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor
Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster 850W Silent Pro Hybrid Gold Modular Power Supply
Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Kit
Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 DirectCU
Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive
Western Digital 1TB internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
Antec P280 Performance Series PC Tower Case
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000: wireless keyboard , mouse

Microsoft 7 64bit

During the build (my first with a modular power supply) I misread the power supply lead requirements and connected power to the board, but not to the processor. Tried to power up and obviously it would not. As the CPU light was on instead of off, I initially thought the problem was with the CPU and stupidly removed the CPU cooler, only to notice I had not added a power lead to the CPU.

Not having any cleaner or thermal paste, I then put the original AMD cooler on instead of the Artic cooler and everything fired up as it should. I expected the CPU temperature to be too high but after a week, it is still running at around 39 to 42c according to the ASUS Thermal Radar, in a room at 26c.

Should I clean off the old paste and renew or does it look like my system is going to be OK?

Many thanks,

Peter
a c 94 à CPUs
March 20, 2013 8:05:01 AM

what is your temp before? 39 at idle is high
March 20, 2013 8:12:15 AM

Should you? Yes. Any time you remove a cooler from a CPU you should clean everything and apply new thermal compound.

That said, if your temps are fine you may not need to.
Related resources
March 20, 2013 8:17:52 AM

I remember the first time I replaced a CPU cooler I forgot to put thermal paste on and fried the CPU. Take it apart, clean it off with alcohol and apply the paste. It takes a couple minutes and can save you quite a bit of money and hassle later. Simply not worth the risk to leave it as-is.
March 20, 2013 8:31:38 AM

Thanks for the comments, i had not realised that 39c was high :-(

Last week I ordered ArctiClean Thermal Material remover, surface purifier and Acrctic Silver 5 3.5g Thermal Paste just in case. Today I read somewhere else that the paste should be specific to the CPU so now I do not know if I have bought the right things or not?

Should they be OK?

Ta

Peter
March 20, 2013 8:33:26 AM

its a law that everytime you change a cooler you need to use a thermal paste thas obvious!its like the 10% is connected to the cpu right now!remove the cooler and put thermal paste!remember the less you put the more it is!otherwise your temps will be high!
May 27, 2013 2:39:17 AM

Hi, 39'C at idle is certainly not high. It is most definitely normal. I think here is what you should do:
1. Run Prime95 and perform a stress test. If your CPU does not cross 70-75' C, then you are good to go. People are obsessed with lower and lower cooling tempratures, but a CPU can run perfectly well till 80-85'C.

2. You really do not need to worry about which thermal paste goes with which CPU configuration. In my experience they are all good and they only mean about a couple of degrees of difference. You say you have arctic cool, well that's good enough.

3. You really don't need to buy a Thermal paste remover or anything....Come on dude...It's just a thermal paste, i can be wiped clean using a very slightly moist piece of cloth.

4. You really have no need (if stress test results described above are good) to rush into applying the thermal paste. Do it whenever you next open up your CPU Cooler, which might probably be never.
!