Computer Graphics Card/Adapter Does not seem to work.

GlazeShot

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Sorry if this is a out of place thread. But i have had problems with My Acer Aspire V3-471G lately. For some reason, the nvidia graphics card/adapter that was working in the early few months when the laptop was purchased, it now does not seem to work.

I have tried to install drivers for it but all installations failed, old or new drivers. Even when i downloaded and tried the driver from Acer's support site. The graphics card in question is a Nvidia GeForce GT 640M with 2GB Dedicated VRAM. Can anyone help me out?

Abhinav Singh

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
The fact that your able to use the laptop to browse the internet suggests that the display isn't out so how exactly is it not working?? And what was the error message the driver installations gave you??

GlazeShot

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
What i meant was that the display for video games and the such is not working, currently the graphics driver does not seem to switch and it is stuck on the default intel hd graphics, which isn't quite as good as compared to the nvidia driver. And the driver installations just tells me it fails, like so: Nvidia Installer failed. Many other people have had the same problems with it, and there are solutions but i can't get it to work. This goes for all driver installers.

GlazeShot

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Thanks for the solution but it didn't work, my nvidia control panel mysteriously disappeared at one point in time and i have no idea what caused it. Downloading drivers and trying to install them results in a failure in installation. The error on the installer just states: Nvidia Installer failed. Anything that can help with that?

Abhinav Singh

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

The nvidia control panel isn't available if only the default windows driver is loaded. Open up device manager and look under graphics adapter. If the name of your GPU is suffixed with a WDDM1.1 then you only have the default driver. In any case since your unable to install any new drivers i would have to suggest a fresh windows installation followed by installing the driver obtained from the acer website. And if even that fails then i suggest you find the nearest ACER service center.

GlazeShot

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Well, your help is much appreciated. I managed to find another solution to the problem! When i read your post, i was a little irritated to be honest. But only because it seemed like i had to reinstall window. I decided that i would try to find another solution and i did! I think something messed up the Nvidia Installer's permission, so it couldn't install, or so says this little guide here: http://geekdrop.com/content/solved-nvidia-drivers-wont-install
It helped me out, maybe it might help other people out too. Thanks for your answers though, i appreciate them even if they didn't work.