Power Supplies: Help me pick the right one

kmccaff

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle with the power supply for my current build (see below). I originally purchased this power supply: Silverstone ST50F-ES 500W . It unfortunately didn't last longer than a month--and went completely dead and I'm in the process of sending it back to them. In the interim, I went to best buy so I could use my computer in the meantime, and impulsively bought a ThermaltakeTR2 600W.

So, right now I have two power supplies which I don't really want and which I don't trust with my components after what I've read about the two models this week.

I'm looking for a power supply that can run my build below, as well as handle a possible i5 upgrade and SSD addition in the next 6 months--and I'm not looking to break the bank. I'm looking in the $75-$80 range.

So far, I'm thinking this: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply But there seems to be a high DOA rate, from what I can gather in Newegg feedback.

Any suggestions? The sooner the better!

CPU: Intel Pentium G2120 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155
HD: Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS
GFX: PowerColor AX7850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 7850 1GB
MOBO: MSI ZH77A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA
CASE: NZXT Source 210 Elite White Steel

Cold_War

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Looks like something you haven't noted - you have a bottleneck in your system. An Intel Pentium with a Radeon 7850 is probably limiting your video performance so I'd get that Pentium upgraded to an i3 at least, and sell that Pentium since its not very old. Yes - that PSU is also good for your system and you should use it.

kmccaff

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hey Cold_War,

I know about the bottleneck--but so far the performance is fine for the two games I'm planning on playing Starcraft: Heart of the Swarm and Bioshock Infinite. I'd rather wait to upgrade to an i5 then switch out the processor I have now for an i3.

I've heard conflicting things about the Corsair I linked, but good things about Corsair in general. Hopefully, someone else can weigh on it. Thanks though.

Cold_War

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Corsair have always done well on their products and always get great reviews from tech reviews etc - plus the PSUs are cheap for the quality that they give and the Builder Series in general now provide great performance for a budget CPU. So -- I'd recommend you go and get one!