GA-Z77-D3H suddenly died?

Miracle_Nosh

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that some of you might have some ideas about a bizarre problem I'm having. I recently built a new system around the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ( Rev. 1.0), with an i7 3770 CPU and 16Gb of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz RAM. PSU is a 600W Silverstone Strider.

The machine has been running perfectly until today, when I installed a Universal Audio UAD-2 Solo DSP card in one of the PCI-E slots. I use the computer for audio production. The machine booted up just fine after inserting the card, and drivers for the card installed easily. No issues there. I then left the machine running, and returned later to discover that it gone to sleep; totally normal. However, I attempted to wake the computer up, and it just hung with the GPU fan spinning at full tilt and a blank screen. It stayed like this for a minute or two until it was clear that the machine had frozen, so I held down the power to turn it off and reboot.

Problem is, now the machine is totally stone dead. Nothing at all happens when I hit the power; no fans, no lights - nothing. It's like it's not receiving power, though it is. I've cleared the CMOS, switched out the PSU, unplugged everything from the mono other than CPU and RAM... but to no avail.

This seems totally strange to me... Like it's a firmware problem? I'm stumped. This board is already my second one, as the first was DOA.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it! :)

Antonis kouts

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
check yours psu's fuse (change it if u have one) ....and all your cables....u can also try to boot your system with another psu...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I would try to breadboard the system. Take the board out of the case, set it on an insulated surface, and test it with just keyboard, PSU, CPU/cooler, RAM, and monitor connected to on-board video. (While it is out of the case, check for an extra standoff you may have left in under the board or any foriegn object that could have grounded/shorted the board). Try to boot to bios. You can start the system by shorting the two pins the pwr sw. would connect to. Hold same for a few seconds for shutting down. if you don't feel comfortable doing that, maybe drag the case close enough to plug in the pwr sw. wires.

If it fails to boot, it would seem logical that the board has failed. Two in a row is really odd, tho. Is it possible the outlet you're plugged into is incorrectly wired or your voltage is too high or spiking?

TRENDING THREADS