Help me with a question about upgrading graphics cards...

G

So, I'm looking to upgrade my Graphics card from GT 530 to GTX 650 Ti, and I such a noob in these thing, so I'm asking, can I be sure, that GTX 650 will work on my computer? Is there any else upgrades that I'll have to do, except getting better power supply. Do I need, like better Motherboard to make it work, or does it just work?

BTW, I checked, there is enough space to fit it in my computer-case-thingy.

Here is what I currently have: Intel i7, 3.4GHz, GT 530,

H-CUPERTINO2-H61-uA TX motherboard.

Thanks for helping.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
New PCIe revisions are backwards compatible to date. (PCI 3.0 will work in a PCI 2.0 slot)

Google your BIOS version or your motherboard model to see if people have been having issues with PCI 3.0 GPUs as this is an issue for some.

I don't know what your PSU wattage is but that might be an issue, that said I've run GPUs that needed a 500 watt minumum on a 250watt PSU with zero problems even when over clocked.

G

My Power supply is only 200W, so I'd better get a new one. Getting better wont be a problem. And didn't find anyone saying about issues or something with compatibility, I'll keep googling...

G

So I what I found, is that GTX 650 should work with PCIe 2.0 on my MoBo, but it wont be as efficient as it could be. I also thought about maybe aiming higher than GTX 650. Something like GTX 660 or better.

armageddon007

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
look op.
There's no hinderance in performance as the new gpu's being released are completely backward compatible...

So if you think that if you get a new mobo, your gpu will perform better, then you are wrong..

Now as far as the gtx 650 and 660 are concerned, both cards have enormous differences in them...
The 660 is a higher end card while the 650 is a mid ranged one..
Both have totally different power requirements...
The 650 can run on any branded 350w psu
but the 660 needs more than 550w...so you see....there's the difffernce....

Both the cards will be compatible with your mobo but the differnce will lie in choosing the appropriate PSU...so choose wisely, live well....haha..

If you are asking for recommendations on a new gpu, look into amd radeon hd6870 or an hd 7870....
they are a bit cheaper than the gtx 660 but perform a bit better in benchmarks...

Good luck.....!!

G

Thanks! I have been thinking about 500W PSU, or something lower. As what comes in price, GTX 650 Isn't that much, but yea, I'll look into those others you suggest.