Main Bios Corrupt. Few questions.

davisonbrah

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Ok, so I went to go on my computer this morning and it was asleep and wouldn't wake up..This is the second time this has happened. The power button had no effect or the reset. So i used my only option and hit the switch on the back of PSU.

When the system turned back on i got an error that said the main bios has been corrupted, loading bck up bios. After that the system restarted normally and has been functioning appropriately.

My real question is, did this repair my main bios? Am i still running on back up? Have restarted the computer multiple times and let sleep for 9+ hours with no problem. Should i leave this alone and be glad that my pc is up and running or should i do something to repair the main bios, unless the back up took care of everything else. Its a Gigabyte motherboard.

Im sorry if this seems confusing or im not being clear enough, any other information you might need just let me know, im no expert when it comes to computers but i can certainly handle most situations with some research but this one has me stumped. Any help would be great, Thanks

I would leave it alone unless you have the money for a spare board; most folks don't even have the patience to wait 3 weeks for an rma replacement. I've had some boards lately where the sleep mode didn't function properly, which is one of the reasons I use only ssd's now. You can experiment with a different bios file, but it may not improve the reliability of the sleep mode setting. I had the same situation with a different board from yours and stopped trying to put my system to sleep. My current asus h61 board works perfectly in sleep mode, but two biostar amd boards wouldn't.

alex2000robert

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Leave it alone. The back up usually what does is to wipe the CMOS battery information and the BIOS chip information and then restores it. The BIOS chip doesn't wipe it completely, just the BIOS, because on another side is the back up. Then the back up MAY load in CMOS and restore it all to the point it worked perfectly.

Cheers!
Alexandru