1 Gbit/s - Asrock Z77 Extreme6 ethernet port not going green

buck_e

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hi there,

Hope somebody can help here.

I've got an Asrock Z77 extreme6 motherboard in my rig, and I connect my pc to my router directly via an ethernet cat5e cable. My router has the usual four ports in the back, with the fourth being reserved for 1 Gbit/s. At first the green light on the socket has been displaying to indicate that I'm connect at the full 1 Gbit/s, but I recently switch the cables around on the back of the router so that another device could enjoy the full 1 Gbit/s connection. Now since switching the cables back round (pc back in the 1 Gbit/s port), the light on my pc's ethernet socket is amber, indicating that it's in the slower 100BASE-TX mode. I've tried resetting the router, unplugging and reconnecting the cables but with no joy.

Why won't it go back to 1 Gbit/s?

Thanks in advance

Ballantin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Usually routers got in the Admin console a section to configure the Ethernet ports. Check if the port is configured to 1Gbps.

Also, check into Windows (Change addaptor settings) if it is also configured to 1Gbps.

buck_e

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

Thanks for the reply, managed to fix it now; although I had tried the classic 'switch off and switch back on' technique with my router, it turns out that the slightly more advanced technique of 'switch it off, leave for ten seconds, then switch back on' worked a treat!

Simple fix in the end, but appreciate your help nonetheless.

Cheers.