Windows Media Player gone

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
So I can't seem to find the program, windows media player. Noob question, I know. I don't remember uninstalling it and I'm the only one who uses the computer. I went through all the programs in the start menu and I even went to my computer>program files>windows media player.

There is only one folder titled "windows media player" and when I open it up, the only thing in the folder is a subfolder called "network sharing". There's no executable file, no launcher or anything. Wth?

1e6965a1a959ba26f24ea1c9a946d53e.png

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Turn Windows features on or off (in side bar at left)

Expand the "Media Features" folder and check the box next to Windows Media Player.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Ahah that is it. That is extremely strange how the programs are "turned off" and you have to turn them on. I don't see why it wouldn't have an icon in the folder (even if it's turned off) so that you can easily find it. Seems very counter intuitive to me. Regardless, that is the perfect answer, thanks.

I didn't know about it either. But by turning WMP off, it doesn't uninstall the program. The files remain in the Program files folder. I guess it just modifies some registry settings.
I wonder how did it help, since
"There is only one folder titled "windows media player" and when I open it up, the only thing in the folder is a subfolder called "network sharing". There's no executable file, no launcher or anything."