No Articles on Reccomended Monitors?

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
I'm pretty knowledgeable on computers, and have narrowed down my build to the parts I want, but when it comes to a monitor, I'm totally stumped. There seems to be no connection between performance and price, I'm finding $100 monitors that have better specs than the next $300 monitor. I began searching Tom'sHardware, looking for what monitors they recommend, but have come up with nothing.
Are there any articles on monitors? If so, could someone direct to one?

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
First of all, I would ignore raw specs. Monitors are like speakers:

Brand name matters a more than in most components, and each company has their own preferences on how the colors and sharpness are tweaked. Otherwise, there are few articles recommending monitors because monitors are something that's hard to recommend. There is no objective performance gauge like there is on graphics cards.

My favorite brand is SAMSUNG, personally. I have two SyncMasters. Extremely bright, excellent contrast, but only 60Hz refresh.

However, if you're interested in monitor overclocking, I would probably stay away. When I overclock them, they go into idle mode even when the resolution works, saying "not optimal mode".

Other than that, there really isn't much to say about monitors.