Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

EVGA 3GB GTX 660 ti Superclocked or 3GB 7950 Sapphire Vapour - X

Last response: in Components
Share
March 20, 2013 2:18:20 PM

Wondering which I should go for with my build, value is important but not essential, I intend to play on RTS, Skyrim, Farcry not so much FPS but a little BF3. It's going to be at 1080p on 1980 x 1080 (will be moving to 2560 x 1440 in the future). I'll most likely have two monitors too, oh and I live in the UK :) 

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated this is my first build from scratch but I've done gfx/mobo/CPU upgrades, I'm currently on an Athlon Dual core CPU so any things an increase :) .

My rig is
CPU - i5 3570k
Mobo - ASrock Fatal1ty Proffesional
RAM - Corsair Vengance 8GB low profile DDR3 1600MHz
PSU - Corsair Enthusiast 750W
HDD - 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA III
SSD - 128 GB OCZ Agility
Case - NZXT Phantom Enthusiast White Red Stripe (bought)
Cooler - NZXT Kraken x60
Pretty much all of this will be bought from Scan.
My budget is 1100-200 but there's wiggle room.

Thanks :) .
March 20, 2013 3:23:14 PM

great cpu. one of my desktops has the same and it rocks! as for a gpu i would suggest a 560ti or a gtx 670. both of those are really good for a (ok) price for value. if you are more concerned with price i would go for the 560. but preformance would be better on a 670.
March 20, 2013 3:52:27 PM

For one 3GB on a GTX660Ti is useless because it will turn into a laggy mess far before 3GB is used, because of the 192-bit bus, if you're going for a 660Ti, go with a 2GB version.

Secondly the 7950 is faster, especially when overclocked, and it will serve you better in the future with 2560x1440 and if you plan to eyefinity.
Related resources
March 20, 2013 4:05:30 PM

Yeah I was already leaning towards the 7950 as I will be overclocking and I'm not sure if I want to pay the extra for a 670.

The only thing that was holding me back with the aftermarket cooler designs, they don't go with my whole red/black theme. But that's only a small issue.
March 20, 2013 4:10:14 PM

Louis Coates said:
Yeah I was already leaning towards the 7950 as I will be overclocking and I'm not sure if I want to pay the extra for a 670.

The only thing that was holding me back with the aftermarket cooler designs, they don't go with my whole red/black theme. But that's only a small issue.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you're going to overclock I don't reccomend the Powercolor, function over form :) . However the ASUS is great at cooling and is also red+black.
March 20, 2013 4:14:32 PM

darkspartenwarrior said:
Louis Coates said:
Yeah I was already leaning towards the 7950 as I will be overclocking and I'm not sure if I want to pay the extra for a 670.

The only thing that was holding me back with the aftermarket cooler designs, they don't go with my whole red/black theme. But that's only a small issue.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you're going to overclock I don't reccomend the Powercolor, function over form :) . However the ASUS is great at cooling and is also red+black.


Thanks :)  yeah I was looking at the ASUS, everyone on the Internet swears by the sapphire vapour x but for the performance difference I don't know whether its worth making my rig look awful.
March 20, 2013 4:20:00 PM

Louis Coates said:
darkspartenwarrior said:
Louis Coates said:
Yeah I was already leaning towards the 7950 as I will be overclocking and I'm not sure if I want to pay the extra for a 670.

The only thing that was holding me back with the aftermarket cooler designs, they don't go with my whole red/black theme. But that's only a small issue.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you're going to overclock I don't reccomend the Powercolor, function over form :) . However the ASUS is great at cooling and is also red+black.


Thanks :)  yeah I was looking at the ASUS, everyone on the Internet swears by the sapphire vapour x but for the performance difference I don't know whether its worth making my rig look awful.


The 7950 Vapor-X is actually pretty bad, it's voltage locked, and has terrible VRM cooling(though the 7970 Vapor-X is superb, maybe they were mistakenly referring to those?).

The best sapphire 7950 is the Dual-X Boost, it has great cooling and is voltage unlocked with great VRM cooling, its 270 bucks now too.
March 20, 2013 4:22:44 PM

darkspartenwarrior said:
Louis Coates said:
darkspartenwarrior said:
Louis Coates said:
Yeah I was already leaning towards the 7950 as I will be overclocking and I'm not sure if I want to pay the extra for a 670.

The only thing that was holding me back with the aftermarket cooler designs, they don't go with my whole red/black theme. But that's only a small issue.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you're going to overclock I don't reccomend the Powercolor, function over form :) . However the ASUS is great at cooling and is also red+black.


Thanks :)  yeah I was looking at the ASUS, everyone on the Internet swears by the sapphire vapour x but for the performance difference I don't know whether its worth making my rig look awful.


The 7950 Vapor-X is actually pretty bad, it's voltage locked, and has terrible VRM cooling(though the 7970 Vapor-X is superb, maybe they were mistakenly referring to those?).

The best sapphire 7950 is the Dual-X Boost, it has great cooling and is voltage unlocked with great VRM cooling, its 270 bucks now too.


Ah, no that's just me being mistaken it was the 7970's I was looking at but couldn't justify the price jump.
Yeah I think I've made my mind up (eventually) thanks for all your help :) 
!