do my pc have a bad hard drive or is the cdrom is bad

Donald Fisher

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I am working on an old computer that had windows98 that I wiped out and when I start it up it goes to this black screen that says boot disk failure so when I press enter it makes this clicking noise that seems like its trying to boot but stays on the same error message when I put in the floppy disks its 4 so when the last floppy finish it says insert win server 2000 cd-rom at the bottom it says please wait and then it goes back to the insert screen what can I do to get it running its an old campus pc I know that it was running but windows98 was outdated can someone help me with this pc

8350rocks

Distinguished
Sounds like your CD drive is bad...if it boots from floppy, but errors when you put in a CD. Are all your connections good on the CD drive? Check those first...if that doesn't solve it...just spend $20 on a new drive.

Donald Fisher

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

thanks but how do I check to see if its bad

8350rocks

Distinguished
If it won't read a CD while your PC is trying to install a fresh windows OS...check the connections on the back of the CD drive inside the case...if they are not loose...the drive is bad.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
In your BIOS - What is the boot order set to? Can the BIOS identify the make/model of the CD drive?

I can recommend investigating a boot from USB flash drive option. Maybe use Linux as a testbed.

8350rocks

Distinguished

If he was running a system from the last decade, I would explore that possibility, but I am not sure he can get access to Linux, and with a CD Drive that was running on a windows 98 machine...the machine is at minimum 10 years old...it's a good possibility the drive is just bad.

TRENDING THREADS