P7P55D-E PRO and RAM above 1.5v

SentrySteve

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hello,

I recently purchased Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) memory into my P7P55D-E Pro mobo. Upon installing this memory, my computer would not boot. Everything was powered on, but the mobo didn't make the normal beeping sounds as it would if it were progressing through a normal boot up and my monitors did not display anything. I have a total of 4 memory slots and I tried these two in both slots and still nothing.

When I put my old memory in, my computer worked fine. My old memory was G.Skill

My mobo's user manual states "voltage below 1.65v is recommended to protect the CPU." I can see from my order that I selected the 1.65v version.

Using CPUID, I can see that my current memory is using 1.5v.

So... my questions are as follows:

1) Is this memory safe to run with my mobo/CPU?

2) Is the lack of an additional .15v enough to cause the memory to not work properly or are these sticks DOA?

3) If so, is it safe to go into my bios and change the voltage of the current (working) memory, let the computer load, power down, then reboot with the new memory.

Thank you for the help. I have a minor knowledge in computer hardware... though as you can tell... the significance of RAM voltage is new to me.

I would set your bios setting for ram to "auto" and see what the board uses for voltage and speed then try the new ram again; many Intel boards run fine at 1333; you may have one setting that's causing your no post with the new ram. If the new ram still doesn't work, I would sell it if it's too late to return or exchange it. I use craigslist. Then try another set of gskill if you like. I only use 8 gb; tried 16 gb and the extra ram took up space on my ssd and didn't make much performance difference, so I sold it.