Sign in with
Your question

Windows Won't Load After Graphics Card Install

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2013 5:15:03 PM

Hello all,

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a machine with an AMD Phenom II X6 3.2ghz process, 2tb hard drive, 16gb DDR3 RAM, and a 1000w Kingwin modular PSU.

After my old card died, I was forced to install a new card without having the opportunity to uninstall the old drivers. The old card was a Radeon HD 5670, and the new one is a HD 7850 4GB manufactured by HIS. Windows did it's thing, automatically installing the new drivers, and not even a minute after, the screen wigged out and froze up.

I did a hard reboot of the machine, and then Windows wouldn't load at all. It freezes on the "Starting Windows" screen, forcing me to yet again do a hard reboot.

I CAN start safe mode just fine. I already ran CCleaner AND Driver Fusion (the successor to Driver Sweeper) to clean everything with an ATI signature off my machine. I try to uninstall Catalyst, but it will not allow me to uninstall it in safe mode because the drivers in question are not loaded.

When I do this, Windows WILL boot with basic VGA drivers. But when I install the new drivers and reboot, I once again get locked on the "Starting Windows" screen, forcing me to start the process over.

Beyond that, I'm not having any real issues. Everything else during the hardware installation went fine so far as I can tell. My power source is sufficient, my connectors are all correct and secure, and everything is compatible. So I've more or less ruled out hardware troubles at this point. I'm almost certain it is the drivers, but I don't know what to do.

Please help. I've tried everything I can think of. My gut tells me this is probably something simple I'm overlooking, but I really could use some other perspectives.

UPDATE: I disabled Windows automatic driver updates, but it still installs them anyway. I figured I might as well just let it do it and see what happens. This time on restart, I get a black screen instead of getting stuck on the Windows loading screen. That is a new development, although I'm still at a loss as to what to do now.

More about : windows load graphics card install

a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2013 6:22:22 PM

The only HIS card I've ever had only worked with HIS drivers. I would download their drivers and see what you get.
March 20, 2013 6:37:57 PM

I hope it is that simple. I'm downloading the HIS drivers from their site now. We'll see what happens. It seems, just from reading the download description, that it is only a repackaging of the ATI display drivers with some extra HIS software; but we'll see.

Thank you for your reply popatim!

UPDATE: As far as I can tell, the HIS drivers are just a repackaging of ALL the drivers for Windows Vista and 7 32 and 64-bit. I see no difference in them what so ever from the ones I downloaded from AMD. But, I did give it a shot, and unfortunately the same problem is happening. Next I plan on trying the 13.3 beta drivers from AMD just in case this is a problem fixed between 13.1 and 13.3.

I have never had so much of a difficulty with a graphics card before. I almost wish it was a simple case of DOA. At least then I know what's wrong. This is driving me insane.
Related resources
March 20, 2013 8:12:34 PM

I still haven't figured out the problem, but if it is helpful, I can also start Windows using the boot with last known good configuration option, and I also can watch videos and such without artifacts or lag.

I'm not sure if this rules out a graphics card defect or not. But I'm still unable to restart and load Windows normally with any drivers installed.
March 21, 2013 6:19:20 AM

Last night before bed, I installed Windows on a complete separate HDD to see if I could get it working. This time, instead of freezing up, I received a BSOD that said "Attempt to reset display driver and recover from timeout failed." The system restarted after that, and then after the Windows start screen, I received a black screen.

The next thing I intend to do at this point is to attempt to reseat the card to make sure it isn't something as simple as human installation error. If that doesn't result in anything, I'm going to assume that the card is defective and request an RMA.
!