Motherboard Destroying Hard drives?

Kein

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Please excuse the verbose backstory to my hardware issues.

So, my roommate's computer (which I've been using extensively over the past 6 months) currently will not boot on the windows partition on the main hard drive. I used hiren's boot cd to run mini XP, which tells me this hard drive is apparently 'not formatted'.

My question, however, arises from the fact that this incident is not unique. In January, something similar happened to the previous main hard drive. I guessed that it was only the drive causing problems, and i got a working one, and did a fresh install to the new hard drive. All was going well until one day using Firefox, the computer became unresponsive and bluescreened, failing to boot all but once since then.

Now, since this has happened twice (and when it was running ok i would frequently hear the hard drive spinning up before abruptly cutting out), is it possible that the hard drive controller is killing my hard drives? I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what on earth is wrong with this computer.

Kein

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Ok, so then the 'cycling' issue that I heard could be from a number of sources? I had automatically assumed the hard drive controller at fault, since my secondary drives have not had power or cut out issues.