Will 4x2GB Dual Channel?

Dagoliroberto

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I currently have two 2GB sticks (each) from Corsair. I plan on getting 8GB, but I don't wanna spend much, so I thought about getting two more 2GB sticks (identical to the ones I have right now) instead. Will four sticks dual channel normally? If not, will that cost me much on performance comparing to two sticks of 4 gigs each?
P.S. My motherboard is an Asrock Pro 3, my RAM is Corsair 2GB 1333MHz (VS2GB1333D3) and my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Thank you!

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
4x 2gb will put a little more stress on your microcontroller, I would recommend 2x 4gb, although the performance difference shouldn't be a lot. Is this a gaming PC? Or are you using it for multitasking applications? You might not need to upgrade your RAM if it isn't limiting your systems performance.

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
You could even choose to go 12Gb, as long as you put the cards in the correct slots. Most boards will be colour coded and will have a like this: (Card A)
(Card B),
(Card A)
(Card B).

Yours may not be the same, so it would be best to check a manual or something for these details.
I found out the hard way with my old PC (an old HP media pc running xp with terrible things inside). Nothing bad happened though, just didn't perform as well as it could.