What is my wattage for my pc build?

Tri Nguyen

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I'm a noob to building computers and I want to know how many watts it would take to power the build I'm wanting to make. In my build I have 660ti sli, fx-8350 amd, antec kuhler h20 620, a 64gb sandisk ssd, 750 gb black wd scorpio hdd,a nzxt phantom 410 case and finally a asrock 990fx extreme3. Also if there is anything you want to say about my list if there something not right with my list or my build is bottle necking please tell me.

Greatatlantic

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Have at: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Beyond that,

-a high end build really should use a third generation Intel CPU, such as the i5 3570K or the i7 3770K. AMD just hasn't caught up (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html).

-If you don't plan on overclocking, there is no reason to get a closed loop liquid cooler. If you do, then I'd recommend the Corsair H55 instead of the Antec Kuhler (similar price, more modern technology) or a more expensive model like the H100i or the H80i. Though if you are a beginner, closed loop liquid coolers are a much bigger pain to install than just using a stock cooler. That might be something you want to do as a later project once you get the initial build right.

-Any SLI configuration has a bad price/performance ratio. There are reasons to use an SLI configuration, but it is hardly double the power of just one card, though you pay twice as much. I'd say you would be better served getting an 7870 (LE), or some other more powerful single card solution.

-Also, MSI was caught in late 2012 changing the specifications on a video card to get better performance at the cost of stability: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html . I would be a bit leery at buying their cards right now.

EDIT: Also, when it comes to power, not all Watts are created equal. Some PSU's are built by cutting corners using cheaper, even flammable material. Others just outright lie about what kind of Wattage they can give you. And also where the wattage comes from is just as important as total wattage. The 12 Volt Rail is the one that powers the most devices, but some less reliable PSUs achieve their listed wattage by spending power to other rails. I'd recommend anything by Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or Silverstone. Other brands can be reliable, and even these four companies release a range of quality, but if you just want to know you have a reasonable unit, those companies don't release any stinkers in the PSU department.

Greatatlantic

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

I just tried to go there again and also hit a white screen. I also use Firefox/Win7 and it was working fine when I posted it, so I guess the website is down for the moment. Try again in the morning is all I can suggest.

That was a calculator that you gave the parts to and it would look up and sum the needed wattage for. Very handy, and lets you figure out how much wattage you might need for future upgrades you plan.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
ASUS calculator may be the easiest on(or newegg) but it gives you way more Watts than u would need.

You would actually be fine with a 650W PSU for a 660TI SLI+8350 and you would have enough room to OC