Web server build - need advice!

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I have scoured the internet for hardware recommendations for a web server I am planning on building, but to no avail due to non-specific details.

I'm building a linux-based (ubuntu server) web server to run out of my home for hosting a single web site for a business I am planning on starting soon. Security/OS and other items aside, I am looking for hardware recommendations based on these details:

Traffic: up to an average of 3-5 viewers at at given point, ~1,000-5,000 hits per day.
Content: Low. Information driven site with PHP and MySQL database. Logins/etc for clients with the ability to change their profiles (very minor details).
Bandwidth: Extremely low. No videos, music, or other large file types. Maybe a few pictures.
Storage: Raid 5. (3) 1TB seagate barracuda sata drives for data/database integrity.
Live-time: 24/7.

I'm wondering if I can get away with one of those 1.0 ghz dual-core asus "mobo/cpu/vga combo" mini-itx boards, some cheap ram, etc. or if I need to build something faster for what traffic I will have. I do not want the site to be slow by any means, but I don't want to overkill it either for no reason.

Assuming internet dl/ul is no issue.

Thanks!

Wolfshadw

Titan
You really don't need a powerful system for just hosting a web site. You should be more concerned about internet connectivity and bandwidth (and a static IP Address).

While I'd probably stay away from Atom processors, any dual-core Intel Celeron or AMD Athlon processor should be more than enough for your needs.

-Wolf sends

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Any particular reason to stay away from atom processors? Are there any features of a web server on the client side that would affect how fast pages load? Any other features for the user (me) side that would affect anything specifically?

Thanks.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I think the Atom processors don't pack enough punch for a web server. I used one when I built my mother's web surfing system and it's not something I'd want in any of my systems. It's not so much the web service that determines the speed of how fast web pages load, but more the programming of the web page as well as the content and network bandwidth.

-Wolf sends