Games close with no error or warning

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hi all, I recently overclocked my laptop GPU, a GTX 660M.

I'm running at 1083 MHZ, up from 850 MHZ, and ~2900 memory clock up from ~2300.

The overclock seems stable, I get no artifacts, no nothing. Games run very well, I can play Far Cry 3 on high at 40 fps, MoH Warfighter on high at 40-50 fps, etc...

The problem is, ocasionally after say 1 hour of gaming, the game I'm playing will just exit with no warning or error. It immediately returns to the desktop and I have to restart the game.

It didn't happen before I did the overclock, so I'm inclined to think that's the cause...

Does anyone know what it could be? I'm clueless.

GPU: GTX 660M
CPU: i7-3630QM
RAM: 8GB

Temp: 70 on GPU under 100% load, 95 on CPU under 100% load (celcius)

Thanks.

More than likely it is the heat of the GPU or CPU, a laptop is not the best cooling environment for overclocking.

You say your CPUs load temperature is 95c that's not good, that's 5c away from the boiling point of water, that's hot!

It doesn't happen at stock simply because it is cooler regarding the CPU and GPU.

I admire your desire to overclock but just because you can doesn't mean you should, if you cannot maintain solid control over the generated heat from overclocking, then don't do it.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

I've manually been setting my fan speed to 100%, and it hasn't happened since, so you're probably right.

I'm curious could the laptop play the games without overclocking?

If it could then overclocking is not worth the life shortening of the hardware, which is exactly what will happen!

I am all for overclocking, but I am also for serious cooling capability to run those overclocks, which a laptop just does not provide.

Your games closing is the laptops way of telling you there is a problem, like pain is to us, we know it hurts and we know where, but the laptop cannot tell you that.

If your games continue to close after long time playing even with increased fan speed, then be careful, you do not want to loose your investment.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

If they continue to close, I'll definitely revert the overclock.
The overclock gives me a 5-20 fps boost, depending on game.

On BFBC2 it gives me a 20 fps boost, on Medal of Honor Warfighter: it gives me a 5ish fps boost, pushing the fps over 40 which makes it much more playable than before.

And the laptop was only $1500, so if it can survive for 4 years then I'll be happy :)

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks, I would set your answer as best answer if i knew how. >_<

It has to be a "Question" thread for the best answer feature to show, the old software allowed you to use the full edit feature to change the original post to a question thread, but I do not know if the new software allows it, but it is the thought that counts!

Thanks and best of luck to you! Ryan