PCI-E Power Supply Voltage Problem

Hugeh

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I have a problem with a PC of mine only powering on if it has sat for 10~ minutes or longer. And only then, if the video card is disconnected, it'll power up. I have the same problems outside of the case on a bench.

I've been testing the power supply with a multi-meter and it has passed everything except the PCI-E 6 pin connector had me a bit confused. It measures like this:

http://imgur.com/lYXC8Ya

For anyone who would rather not open the link:

3v--12v--5v
grd--grd--grd

I always thought it was supposed to be:
12v--12v--12v
grd--grd--grd

Is this a problem or do some power supplies do it the way they want to do it?

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I u can't power off and on ur PSU between short interval, there is the problem with the capacitors coz they are not propery discharging.

PCIE 6pin suppose to be 2/3nos of +12 and 3nos of ground so there is definitely something wrong with ur PSU.

Can you post a make and model of ur PSU ?

No matter what, if u can RMA it, please do so coz u dunno what other things might be messed up inside there and for the time being, refrain from putting that PSU back into the system coz u never know when it will fry the other components.

Hugeh

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Capacitors in the PSU or are you implicating my motherboard as well? I can't RMA or I wouldn't waste my time, these parts are several years old and I have no receipts.

It's an OCZ Modxstream 600w.

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

I'm referring to the the capacitors in the PSU and not the motherboard. Looks like time to get a new PSU.

Ballantin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Check again if you got the receipts, some of the OCZ PSUs got up to 5 years warranty.

As a workaround, you can use a molex to PCI-E adaptor, but to be honest I don't think it worth the effort, this PSU is for sure near to die.

Hugeh

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I definitely don't have any reciepts, the PC was given to me by a friend when he joined the military. One last question, then. On abench with only the motherboard plugged in, I have the same isissue and all the ATX pins read correctly. Doesn't this implicate the motherboard?