How do I turn off driver-side Fan control?

mostachio

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hi,

Have flashed a new bios to my hd5970 with updated fan profiles etc. They work fine up until windows where the driver kicks in and locks fan speed to 29/30% (right up until 100degrees~ wtf)

I'd like to know how to turn off/disable driver-side fan control, so fan curve is set by the cards BIOS rather than driver within windows.

I have been using MSI Afterburner for years for a fan curve... But it'd be really handy if I could just lock it in and not have to use it/install it everytime i reinstall OS.

Thanks!!!

mostachio

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks, I thought as much from countless googling... Seems pretty strange though,.. Do all ATI cards suffer from the same problem (Just thinking If i might be able to manually edit the driver infs for a card that has a higher fan curve)...

such a thing is common for both nvidia and amd. they prioritize fan noise over gpu temp because the reference can be heard even the fan only hit 60% of it's speed. at 100% it will become a vaccum cleaner :lol: (especially the one with blower type cooler). still remember gtx480/470 will easily reach 90c plus if you leave the fan to auto (driver controlled). but with fan curve and good air flow in the case the load temp can be put down to 70c-80c range

mostachio

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Ok, here's for hoping something comes out in the future that lets you turn it off. There's not really much point in having a BIOS set fan curve if it's never used, except pre-os, pre-driver, Might as well just have it set at a particular speed! I'm still hoping there is a solution out there somewhere, Have e-mailed ATI asking if there's any way to turn this off, though i'm not expecting too much. If I do find a way i'll post it in here :)

And i'll continue to use afterburner, it's a good app, I just like streamlining things as much as I can ^.^ One less startup app the better :D

I appreciate the response though, thanks