Sign in with
Your question

Can I run 2-way SLI with MSI GTX 680 Lightning and Power Edition?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2013 8:15:48 PM

I recently completed my first gaming PC build. For the video card I purchased an MSi GeForce GTX 680 Lightning. I have recently found out (to my dismay) that the Lightning edition has been discontinued by MSi. My plan was to purchase another one of these cards to run 2-way SLI, when my monetary situation returned to normal from the PC build. My question is, can I use the MSi GeForce GTX 680 Power Edition to run 2-way SLI?

I know that aftermarket and reference video cards can run in tandem with each other as long as you are using the same level of GPU architecture (i.e. EVGA 680 + Nvidia 680). However, I am not sure if this is the case since the MSi 680 Lightning has unlocked voltage controls.

Please help. I am ready for dual GPUs with double the frame buffer! I am running 3 monitors, and I would like to take advantage of Nvidia's surround vision with games like Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite, whilst not compromising ultra settings for better frame rates. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

New PC specs:

Intel Core i7 3770K 4.3Ghz CPU
Phanteks PH-TC14PE, 3X140MM fans Heatsink
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H MoBo
G.Skill Ares 4X4GB @ 2133Mhz RAM
OCZ Silencer MKIII 1200W PSU
MSi GeForce GTX 680 Lightning (stock OC)
Asus VS248H-P 24" LED Monitors X3
Windows 7 64-bit
March 21, 2013 12:29:21 AM

Yes you can SLI any 680 with another 680. The faster one will downclock to the speed of the slower one but they will work together just fine. It will be a pretty nice setup.
March 21, 2013 5:52:09 AM

ajl2011shooter said:
Yes you can SLI any 680 with another 680. The faster one will downclock to the speed of the slower one but they will work together just fine. It will be a pretty nice setup.

Thanks for your reply. That's good to know. I figured, but I wanted to be sure because of the over volt capabilities of the Lightning.
!