FX-6300 running "too cool"?

pheroh

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I got an FX-6300 with a Zalman CNSP5X Performa cooler that is running at the lowest fan speed with no overclocking. I get consistent temp of low 20 C with moderate use. On idle it's around 12 C and could go sub 10! I live in Montreal and the room temp is around 20 C as well.

Using Prime95's In-place Large FFTs test (for maximum heat stress), the temp get to 33 C and stays there and the CPU fan is barely noticeable (~1600 rpm). I am using Core Temp and Speccy.

Now, this should sound good and all but the only reason I am a bit worried is because I want to overclock and I am afraid that the temp reported is not correct and I might end up melting my system. I don't intend to go extreme but would like to crank the CPU to 4.0-4.2 GHz only changing the multiplier. Should I be worried or are these temps normal?

There is cause for concern about your temps - unless using super cooling, your temps cannot be lower than ambient - something is not right there. Try setting CoreTemp to "Display the Distance to TJ Max" in advanced settings, see if the numbers become a little more believable

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
I agree with clutchc, your CPU temps cannot be lower than your ambient temperature. I also suspect that it is a bad sensor on your motherboard, for some reason I am hearing a lot of complaints about bad temperature sensors in AMD builds. You might want to borrow a friend's CPU or motherboard and try it on your build.

pheroh

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
@C12Friedman: Thanks. Doing what you suggested just gave me the delta which is basically the same reading which is still not correct

I got to the BIOS and it's reporting 39 C CPU temp so I guess the sensor is fine. I used HWMonitor and it's reporting a 32-33 C (under CPUTIN) and research told me that BIOS temps are usually higher than actual Windows temps. Running Prime95 now makes the temp go to 48-49 C with the cooler running full speed. So I guess now I know where to look for temp.

Are those temps normal/acceptable?

The HW temps sound a lot more credible - I think you should be able to work from there

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The reason BIOS temps will be higher that what is reported in Win7, is that the CPU is at full freq. while in BIOS.

Btw... I'm beginning to see a trend here. Quite a few posts here lately have been about Piledriver FXs and Llano & Trinity APUs reporting unusually low temps at the low end; idle. I had my own experience with an A10-5800k that would only read in the teens C at idle (in Windows). I'm beginning to wonder if that isn't a common issue with the sensor in those chips.