Sign in with
Your question

Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer Liquid CPU Cooler installation problem.

Last response: in Components
March 21, 2013 5:52:06 AM

I bought a Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer liquid CPU cooler. The instructions are not very clear.
It comes with 2 sets of thumb screws for connecting the pump to the motherboard. One set is a little longer than the other. The instructions do not say which set of screws to use. Does it depend on the CPU socket? For an LGA775 socket which set would you use ? How about for an LGA1155 socket?

More about : thermaltake water2 performer liquid cpu cooler installation problem

a c 124 à CPUs
March 21, 2013 8:22:19 AM

You would use the same screws for the Socket 775 and 1155, the other set of screws (which will not thread into the backplate screws) are for socket 2011 and have a slightly larger thread. My suggested method for determining which are the ones you want to use is to see which ones screw into the backplate, use those
March 22, 2013 12:55:21 AM

Thanks C12Friedman for your quick response.
However the unit came with only one set of backplate screws. How do I know these are the right ones?
One set of thumb screws is longer than the other. Which ones go with the 775/1155?

Related resources
a c 124 à CPUs
March 22, 2013 2:06:37 AM

The socket 2011 screws do not have backplate screws since the included screws for 2011 (which are m4) go straight into the motherboard. So, I will contend here that only one set of screws will fit into the back plate screws (usually M3), that's the set you'll want to use (I'll suspect the shorter screws). Let me know if both sets of screws fit into the backplate screws (so I can be surprised)
March 22, 2013 10:10:39 PM

I haven't bought the motherboard/CPU yet. I'm building my new computer a little at a time. I've got the case (Thermaltake New Soprano), Power Supply (Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W), and CPU Liquid Cooler (Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer) so far. I expect to order the motherboard/CPU and memory next week. I have hard drives, blue-ray recorder, monitor, etc from my current computer setup.
I will let you know how the cooler installation works out after I get the motherboard/CPU.
But to answer your question about the backplate screws, it's the LONGER set of thumb screws (smaller thread) that fit into the backplate screws!
So the shorter thumbscrews are for socket 2011.
Thanks for your help.
C12Friedman said:
The socket 2011 screws do not have backplate screws since the included screws for 2011 (which are m4) go straight into the motherboard. So, I will contend here that only one set of screws will fit into the back plate screws (usually M3), that's the set you'll want to use (I'll suspect the shorter screws). Let me know if both sets of screws fit into the backplate screws (so I can be surprised)

!