AMD Athlon II x4 631 Overclock Issues

This is my first overclock so inevitably I have several issues that I could use some help on. As the title states, i'm running an AMD Athlon II x4 631 @ stock 2.6 Ghz on a Gigabyte GA-a75-UD4H board with a Radeon 6750. I also have two sticks of Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB DDR3 1333.

I originally entered the BIOS and attempted to bump up the settings on the memory to match the recommended by Patriot Gamer. My mobo was set to run the memory at 1.5v @ what I think was 1066 Mhz. I added the additional 0.15v to get it up to 1.65v, changed the memory multiplier to 6.66 from 5.33 (to acheive 1333 mhz), and set the timings to 9-9-9-24. I didn't touch the base clock speed or any other settings. When I booted, I ran CPU-z and it showed the results as:

here
(i tried to post inline but it's saying i need to confirm my membership, which I have about 4 times now...)

My first quesion is, why are the clock speeds not showing what I inputted into the BIOS?

Secondly, I attempted to bump up the base clock without adding voltage due to the fact that many people in various forums have boasted of getting 3.5+Ghz speeds on stock voltage. However, anytime I attempt to go past 110 on the base clock (110*26 multi = 2860 mhz) the USB ports on my I/O cease to work and my stability goes down significantly. I lowered the memory down significantly to make sure it wasn't the issue and the results were the same. I lowered the NB multiplier (to a total of well under 2000 mhz) and that didn't fix anything either. Any ideas as to what could be going on here?

Any general help or articles that I could read that would help would be greatly appreciated. My only guess is that i'm going to have to up the voltages but i'm running the stock heatsink and was hoping to avoid that. So far, even at 110 BCLK, my max cpu temp has been 46 deg C, so there is definitely some room to go before the danger zone.

Thanks in advance!
15 answers Last reply
More about amd athlon 631 overclock issues
  1. Regarding your memory issue and the display in CPU-Z: CPUZ will display the frequency for each individual stick of RAM, add 667 and 667 and you end up with 1300mhz, it just automatically shows you only 1 stick.

    As far as your instability and overcloaking are concerned, have you disabled all active power saving features on your motherboard?
  2. I shut down Cool 'n Quiet, though i'm unaware of any of the other ones. When I asked the first question regarding the memory, I was mainly concerned with the timings. I've read that the smaller the timings, the better, which would mean those shown in CPU-z are actually better than the recommended. However, I was afraid that those timing might be giving my OC some issues and I was just curious as to why they aren't showing what I was inputting into the BIOS.

    What other power saving features are there for this board?
  3. bennon05 said:
    I shut down Cool 'n Quiet, though i'm unaware of any of the other ones. When I asked the first question regarding the memory, I was mainly concerned with the timings. I've read that the smaller the timings, the better, which would mean those shown in CPU-z are actually better than the recommended. However, I was afraid that those timing might be giving my OC some issues and I was just curious as to why they aren't showing what I was inputting into the BIOS.

    What other power saving features are there for this board?


    Make sure if you manually adjust the timings you also set the ram profile to a manual setting and not the standard auto. That way your timings will stick.

    Now I'm not sure about your motherboard specifically, but you can disable C6, Cool n Quiet, Turbo Mode, PCI Spread Spectrum, HPC Mode, AMD Application Profiles, Thermal Throttling, C1E. All of those can be disabled. You want to look for anything relating to controlling the cpu power, if you select the option it should give you a brief description in your bios. If not then just scribble down your bios options and come back and post them on here.
  4. awesome...thanks already for the help. I just came across an article talking about this motherboard which states the following:

    Quote:
    However, you will encounter one very serious problem here. The thing is that BCLK frequency is used not only for the processor and memory, but also for the I/O frequency of the AMD A75 chipset. Therefore, when you increase the BCLK clock, we automatically speed up PCI Express, USB, SATA and either bus controllers. Unfortunately, it may sometimes quickly lead to system instability, which in this case isn’t caused by the CPU or memory.

    I believe I don’t have to remind you that the same exact issues killed the clock generator frequency overclocking approach for Sandy bridge processors in LGA1155 systems. Luckily, things are not so hopeless with Socket FM1. Firstly, the maximum threshold for the BCLK frequency is not as close to 100 MHz as it is in LGA1155 systems. Secondly, In Socket FM1 platforms this threshold depends a lot on the peripheral devices, hard disk drives in the first place. So it is quite possible to put together a more overclocking-friendly configuration for Llano processors. And thirdly, once you exceed 133 MHz BCLK frequency, AMD A75 chipset automatically adjusts the multipliers for frequencies of peripheral controllers, which guarantees normal operation of the system.


    The review can be found here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/gigabyte-ga-a75-ud4h_5.html#sect0

    I'm going to attempt to shut down all the things you listed and raise the BLCK to 133 but down the multiplier to a reasonable level to see if that will fix the USB port issues. Last question, I haven't found too much info on the NB frequency other than it's usually best to keep it around 2,000 mhz. Is that a good move for me?

    Thanks again,
  5. Usually yea just keep it at stock. To be honest though, I had a Phenom II 965 before this 8350 and I never touched the NB clock it overclocked to 3.8 from 3.4 easy with no voltage changes and I never moved it further.

    With my 8350 now I had to downclock my CPU/NB to match my RAM because I could not get stable without downclocking my RAM before doing so. It was an odd issue that resulted in me trying many different types of RAM. I now run my CPU/NB voltage at 1.05 and the clock at 1600mhz the same speed as my RAM, and I'm stable. So what I'm saying is that I think it really all depends on your chip, and motherboard configuration, and there are other variables overclocking can be vastly different for people even with the same chip.

    EDIT: Also I benched with the CPU/NB at 2200mhz and at 1600mhz and there was no difference at all in Cinebench.
  6. I spent a couple hours last night altering and re-altering and got a mixed bag of results. I'm almost certain that the memory is going to be the bottleneck on the system which was the last thing I was expecting.

    I tried to bump the base clock up to 133 and it did not solve the I/O usb port issues. I then clocked everything down but tried to bump up my memory to run at recommended settings. It worked but ended up being unstable. It wouldn't POST if my memory was anything at all above 1333 mhz.

    So, I then increased the base clock and decreased the memory multiplier down to 5.33 so that it was running at about 1100 mhz. I also lowered the NB frequency significantly (something like 550 mhz) to see if the cpu was the issue. I upped the cpu multiplier in increments and stopped at 3200 mhz though w/ a better cooler, i'm sure it could go higher. I was getting a max of about 58 deg C on full load using LinX. However, I wasn't seeing noticeble improvements in benchmarks with the increased cpu speed.

    With all of this said, do ya'll think that my memory is constraining me here? If so, i'm going to probably find the fastest I can run the memory seeing that it had the most impact on the benchmarks. The problem is, my memory multiplier can only go to a minimum of 5.33 which is going to limit how high I can increase the base clock...which blows.

    Anyways, let me know your thoughts. Thanks!,
  7. Try setting your memory speed to 1333mhz and also your CPU/NB to around 1333mhz and also drop your CPU/NB voltage accordingly. What is your stock NB clock speed?
  8. I can't remember the stock NB speed off the top of my head. I'll have to set everything to stock and check tonight.

    How low should I drop the voltage on the NB? I've been operating on the assumption that the only voltage issues i'm gonna have is if there isn't enough. Would there be problems if there was too much voltage going to the NB?
  9. bennon05 said:
    I can't remember the stock NB speed off the top of my head. I'll have to set everything to stock and check tonight.

    How low should I drop the voltage on the NB? I've been operating on the assumption that the only voltage issues i'm gonna have is if there isn't enough. Would there be problems if there was too much voltage going to the NB?


    Not necessarily but overvolting can certainly cause instability. So in some cases yes.

    You NB clock is probably around 200mhz, let me know though and we can drop it down to somewhere that should keep you stable. It will be different with all cpus but my cou/nb voltage is at 1.05v for 1600mhz, so I imagine dropping your cpu/nb voltage that low and then dropping the clock to 1333mhz shouldn't hurt, maybe even drop the voltage to 1.0 at that clock speed.
  10. The NB stock speed is 666 mhz operating at 1.1 volts.

    So, I attempted to increase the multiplier on the NB and it did nothing. I tried it several times. On the right side of the screen is a note:
    "Northbridge frequency lower than HT Link spped system will correct frequency as default"

    I looked up HT Link and found out that it's sometimes called LDT so I looked for both of those in the BIOS and found nothing. I then tried to increase the base clock to see if that changed anything, and it actually somehow reduced the NB frequency to 533 mhz. I'm wondering if the NB frequency is tied to the memory multiplier because I was on 6.66 before when the NB was running at that speed and reduced it to 5.3 when I upped the base clock?

    thoughts?

    EDIT: The hypothesis about the NB frequency tied to the memory multiplier was wrong. I upped the memory multiplier to 8, reduced the base clock, and still was showing 666 on the NB speed. I'm at a loss
  11. Try setting the memory to 666mhz and see what you get.
  12. The lowest I can go with my memory is 533 mhz (100 base clock * 5.33 multiplier). I put it at that setting and am getting 533 mhz on the NB.

    I'm still searching for what the limiting factor is here and am finding that it's very confusing! I wish these people who boast of getting upwards of 4 ghz OC's at stock voltages would post their settings. i'm tempted to flash a newer BIOS but I don't want to go through the hassle unless i'm sure that the BIOS is the problem.
  13. bennon05 said:
    The lowest I can go with my memory is 533 mhz (100 base clock * 5.33 multiplier). I put it at that setting and am getting 533 mhz on the NB.

    I'm still searching for what the limiting factor is here and am finding that it's very confusing! I wish these people who boast of getting upwards of 4 ghz OC's at stock voltages would post their settings. i'm tempted to flash a newer BIOS but I don't want to go through the hassle unless i'm sure that the BIOS is the problem.


    All chips are different as well, some overclock better than others. Sometimes it is luck of the draw.
  14. chrisafp07 said:
    bennon05 said:
    The lowest I can go with my memory is 533 mhz (100 base clock * 5.33 multiplier). I put it at that setting and am getting 533 mhz on the NB.

    I'm still searching for what the limiting factor is here and am finding that it's very confusing! I wish these people who boast of getting upwards of 4 ghz OC's at stock voltages would post their settings. i'm tempted to flash a newer BIOS but I don't want to go through the hassle unless i'm sure that the BIOS is the problem.


    All chips are different as well, some overclock better than others. Sometimes it is luck of the draw.



    hey, how do i give you best answer. for all of the time you spent replying, you deserve a best answer.

    thanks man
  15. bennon05 said:
    chrisafp07 said:
    bennon05 said:
    The lowest I can go with my memory is 533 mhz (100 base clock * 5.33 multiplier). I put it at that setting and am getting 533 mhz on the NB.

    I'm still searching for what the limiting factor is here and am finding that it's very confusing! I wish these people who boast of getting upwards of 4 ghz OC's at stock voltages would post their settings. i'm tempted to flash a newer BIOS but I don't want to go through the hassle unless i'm sure that the BIOS is the problem.


    All chips are different as well, some overclock better than others. Sometimes it is luck of the draw.



    hey, how do i give you best answer. for all of the time you spent replying, you deserve a best answer.

    thanks man


    You can just click on the Best Solution at the bottom of any post :) Thanks alot!

    BTW, if you do need anything else in the future feel free to PM me, or post here again. Take care.

    Where is your overclock sitting at now? Did you get to somewhere you felt comfortable (even if 4.0 wasnt possible)?
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking AMD Memory