My £1100 ($1700) build, Comment and suggest!

xmutagenx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a silent yet powerful gaming rig, here's the rig and some run down why I chose these parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£55.82 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£103.40 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£44.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.34 @ Aria PC)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£99.99 @ Dabs)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£61.98 @ Dabs)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£319.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£86.23 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1078.52

CPU: Is there much to explain? Best budget i5 that overclocks like a beast.

CPU cooler: Nothing on the current market seems to beat the NH-D14 it's extremely quiet and efficient! Which in turn suits the build specifications.

Motherboard: Well AsRock Z77 Extreme4 seems to be really good z77 for the price, however I'm still unsure if I should go with this one or take the Asus P8Z77-V instead due to AsRock not having an onboard WI-FI? Any comments here?

RAM: Well I like the 9-9-9-24 Clock and 1600Mhz speed of thse RAM modules. Also they are really cheap and Corsair typically is a good brand to go with.

Storage: I expect to see much debate here, but here's the quick rundown of why I chose this storage setup:

1TB HDD: Storage for movies and music. Don't feel like I need more than 1TB even if the price increase is minimal. Seagate also makes really nice and silent HDD's plus it has 64MB cache :}

Two OCZ Vertex 4 SSD's mainly because I want to keep my games and Windows + Program Files separate. I chose VTX4 For main reason: Speediest drives in this range.
128GB SSD: My games drive. Basically nothing here apart from my games.
64GB SSD: Boot and Program Files Drive. ( Could possibly sacrifice the speed that VTX4 offers and pick something a bit more cheap )

GPU: Ahhh.. EVGA FTW Series, suits the build so well, especially because it's very quiet and cool but speedy as well. After much debate on every single forum it seems that GTX670 is a better choice in price compared to GTX680. Would go with Asus TOP version if they were available and not so pricey -.-" Any suggestions here? A good and quiet GHZ 7970 perhaps?

Case: A lovelly case, even though it's really heavy due to all the sound dampening material within, it's the most silent case on the market ( apart from fanless ones ). Chose the one with a window mainly because I'd like to install some green LED's as I find all green/black aspect quite attractive.

PSU: I know my power draw wouldn't reach 400W but going with a PSU where you will be using roughly 60% at max load is a good thing as power supplies tend to give out the best performance at that level.

Finally, I'm curious if any of you have any suggestions or changes I should make with this build. My primary goals in order of importance are:

#1 Silence - this is the primary factor for me in deciding on all of these parts.
#2 Performance - obviously..
#3 Budget-ish - I want this build to be Budget efficient without introducing any bottlenecks.

I believe my build achieves this goal as the parts are picked so that there's no bottlenecks introduced at any part of the build.

Rate and Comment on this build, let me know what would YOU change in this build!

Thanks a lot,

M

xmutagenx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Also I Will be using:
23" monitor @ 1920x1080
Windows 7 64-bit SP1

So I don't really need any higher graphics at this point I would guess?
Thanks!